turnin thempesky barrels

I didn't say it wouldn't work sometimes...

I said it's not the right way. And I stand by that.

By the time you take off a turbo and manifold, drill and tap the manifold, buy 6 thermocouples, and put it back together, I think you would be farther ahead (both money and time) to do it right..$.02

like i said, its just what i read. in my case my pump is deff. going to seth:woohoo: as soon as im done working on everybody elses trucks:doh:

Joe

I didn't say it wouldn't work sometimes...

I said it's not the right way. And I stand by that.

i'll stand by that too, i WILL NOT do that for any customers, i always recommend that they send them off to be done the RIGHT way

You'd be surprised how many customers diesel shops have that send or bring their pump to be benched, not just us diesel gearheads but professional transportation companies.
Barrels are tuneable parts in the pump so yes, if you turn them by yourself then you might get lucky but remember your odds, there are six of those and they need to be decently equal to get the results your after.

I figured myself that I would rotate the pump in a vice for a certain amount of time in certain rpms and I would have electric transfer pump attached and injector lines would be spraying into 1 liter papercups and then I would measure each individual cup for weight which would need to be very close to each other.

Step 1: Buy a used pump you're confident that runs (around $600)
Setp 2: Send to pump Shop
Step 3: Swap the pump shop tuned pump on the truck
Step 4: Sell your non-benched bump for around $600
Step 5: Have fun driving your truck with a small $300 or so investment

That's what many do and it's not much money at all for the amount that can be gained. This plan will keep the truck on the road too while the work is being done. Only dowside is you need to be able to come up with the money in the mean time. Just a suggestion

its been a few days since i got online ..but dang didnt expect so many hits..lol. as for the flows bein balanced from the factory i knew they wernt, what iment by doin it this way was to not get them any further out of whack, but not have them totaly screwy like would happen from doin it by feel or sight. and i know there was no space between them & pesky..but its not hard to figure out.. this was all hypathetical. and as far as the noob comment, i dont think most noobs know much more about their trucks than plugin a programmer in and makin black smoke= power and bully dog and banks are the best there is.....tellin them to turn the barrels and modify the afc or put a rack plug in will get blank looks from mosta them.

Last edited:
not saying it is the same for all trucks, but I would not do this. I did it a while back on a spare pump I had sitting around, and the outcome was no extra power but higher egts. it was a 175 pump

i want to send my pump out to get the barrels turned and it balanced was just wondering what CDS would charge?

if your looking at the pump you'll see 2 nuts on either side of what the fuel line attaches to , those nuts hold the barrel inplace. there are 2 nuts per barrel. sry no pic..