twin turbos on a manual truck

I kindoff lost you there....but maybe you should keep all this factual info a secret.

All the 2 + 2 = 4 kinda stuff? You're probably right. It is highly privileged info. All that addition, subtraction and sh*t.

My point was that even a well ported head '12v' and lots of timing the curve falls flat at or by 4k and I know guys running this much stall speed, thats beond me....I turn mine 5k+ but dont expect anything more than wheel speed in high gear burning through the traps, cause there damn sure is no power up there.

My point was that even a well ported head '12v' and lots of timing the curve falls flat at or by 4k and I know guys running this much stall speed, thats beond me....I turn mine 5k+ but dont expect anything more than wheel speed in high gear burning through the traps, cause there damn sure is no power up there.

You ran this by Dan Scheid? That dragster of theirs running down the track at 3k or so? Or is it a 4v head? What about the mod class? Same problem?

If you're talking street truck then nevermind. I haven't ever made peak power any higher than 3500, and my heads are 2v as well, so no cheating going on.

You ran this by Dan Scheid? That dragster of theirs running down the track at 3k or so? Or is it a 4v head? What about the mod class? Same problem?

If you're talking street truck then nevermind. I haven't ever made peak power any higher than 3500, and my heads are 2v as well, so no cheating going on.

No I have not but do the math, a 2.70 gear, 1:1 high, and a 36" tire that prob. grows to 38" with thier wheel speed. No matter how you slice it the 12v head wont have any steam left above ~4k and 3600 in most cases.

No I have not but do the math, a 2.70 gear, 1:1 high, and a 36" tire that prob. grows to 38" with thier wheel speed. No matter how you slice it the 12v head wont have any steam left above ~4k and 3600 in most cases.

I have no idea what gears they're running, it just seems like it's spinning a tad over 4k. Maybe not after the clutch is 1:1, I don't know. Mod class seems a bit over 4k as well, but I wouldn't know.

If I took a stab I would have said 6k.

Here's a manual 12v with triples. Seems to run well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dIjKMm4Du0&feature=related

WTF? How in the he!! did this thread get to that? The guy is asking about a twinset for a street truck, that has nothing to do with a 5000+rpm pro mod truck with triples :umno:

I think if you are only looking for 500rwhp get an S472 with the 1.10 housing, that should provide plenty of air for that and spool very well.

WTF? How in the he!! did this thread get to that? The guy is asking about a twinset for a street truck, that has nothing to do with a 5000+rpm pro mod truck with triples :umno:

I think if you are only looking for 500rwhp get an S472 with the 1.10 housing, that should provide plenty of air for that and spool very well.

Um.... yeah.

Someone mentioned a 12v head not flowing enough to make power much over 4k. That's how the above link ended up in the thread.

Powerband was what sparked that, and powerband has everything to do with a manual trans truck and how often and at what rpm it has to shift at..... which directly determines how a given turbocharger will react to those shifts coming back on boost. Not to mention the turbo itself determines that powerband to a great extent.

So yeah, it is relevant.

again you put words in my mouth... you think a stock cam, unported head 12v built for the street is going to do much over 4k!?!?! LOL

it'll pull hard to 4K, but the heart of the powerband is below 3000

my point is the same as it has been... building a combo that makes the most average power under the curve vs. a peaky big turbo monster WILL be quicker on the street and at the strip.

so you're saying a 64/71 over an S480 will be great for his stock head/cam 12v on the street, right? I just wanna go ahead and lock that in real quick :rolleyes:

charles,
i like how you tried to belittle pipefitter with your so called infinite wisdom...or shall i say finite as you seem very close minded. ill just use me for an example here; im a UNION employee just like pipefitter and work for the railroad so i assume you feel im just a dumbass blue collar worker but im far from that as i went to school for mech. engineering at a top ten school in the nation but by choice, the railroad is my way of life and with this economy was a very smart move dont ASSume anything by someones job title as that just makes you look like a pompous ass. theres nothing wrong with a little razzing as thats what goes on on these boards but for gods sakes quit acting like a douche bag and most would agree with me(probably even some of your loyal ford brothers) on this. forrest is extremely knowledgable when it comes to the 12v and for the person that started the post looking for advice, his information suited him very well and gave him some great ideas and advice that will aide him in his decisions.
you cant froget that some folks dont have the goals you and i may have and theres no reason to dog them for that. let bygons be bygons, its the easiest way to live. i can understand that getting smoked(no pun intended) by way to many cummins powered trucks persuaded you to run a big set of twins on a big displacement motor but youre comparing apples to oranges when it comes to engine characteristics and how they all react. im sure i could pull out my engineering vocabulary so i can look good but just like anything in life and the way things sometimes need to be explained to someone just getting into twins, simple is ALWAYS better. good luck with your endeavours and add relivent info to the original poster and stick to the basics and numbers.
just my $.02

I dont care what cam is used, head ported equal to or better than mine, how ever much timing, etc.... Id like to see a graph of a broader and much higher rpm curve. Ive seen disclosed sheets from guys making more power than myself and its the same thing...sure there are lots of people turning them higher and they'll do it but it still dont mean there making power there. Another truck I built for someone else was always shifting ~5k, I told him to make his first couple shifts at 3800 and let it burn through the traps= big drop in e.t. but the same mph.... once the engine falls out of its powerband it can continue to gain mph just not near as quickly, make since. Now with a new re-designed head and matching camshaft, maybe things could change some, I hear some of this is coming down the pipe..... we'll see. Ryan Tucker

Looks like i have alot of learning to do! (as always)

:pop: Looking to do something similar to my truck.

charles,
i like how you tried to belittle pipefitter with your so called infinite wisdom...or shall i say finite as you seem very close minded. ill just use me for an example here; im a UNION employee just like pipefitter and work for the railroad so i assume you feel im just a dumbass blue collar worker but im far from that as i went to school for mech. engineering at a top ten school in the nation but by choice, the railroad is my way of life and with this economy was a very smart move dont ASSume anything by someones job title as that just makes you look like a pompous ass. theres nothing wrong with a little razzing as thats what goes on on these boards but for gods sakes quit acting like a douche bag and most would agree with me(probably even some of your loyal ford brothers) on this. forrest is extremely knowledgable when it comes to the 12v and for the person that started the post looking for advice, his information suited him very well and gave him some great ideas and advice that will aide him in his decisions.
you cant froget that some folks dont have the goals you and i may have and theres no reason to dog them for that. let bygons be bygons, its the easiest way to live. i can understand that getting smoked(no pun intended) by way to many cummins powered trucks persuaded you to run a big set of twins on a big displacement motor but youre comparing apples to oranges when it comes to engine characteristics and how they all react. im sure i could pull out my engineering vocabulary so i can look good but just like anything in life and the way things sometimes need to be explained to someone just getting into twins, simple is ALWAYS better. good luck with your endeavours and add relivent info to the original poster and stick to the basics and numbers.
just my $.02

I can agree with that, except for the part about belittling the other guy. He did that himself by offering nothing in the way of information or explanation for the OP, and instead made bs playground comments to me. If someone wants to make comments like a 6 yr old who wants the sandbox all to himself I'll treat them that way. If you haven't noticed, I don't participate in any popularity contests, so I don't give a damn what anybody, or any "group" feels about something. I just deal in tangible things. Feelings and emotions are a waste of time in a discussion like this one. They don't make engines stronger, nor truck's faster.

And I haven't ever stated what chargers this guy should run, because that would be overstepping my bounds given the fact that I've never fabbed up a set of chargers and run them on a 5.9. Don't know how that got so twisted, but all you have here is forrest suggesting for people to lean on the small side, and me suggesting to lean on the large side. He makes fun of "laggy", "peaky", "dyno queens" and I make fun of idiots that think their snappy little charger is the cats ass until they get their asses handed to them six ways to Sunday by a setup that's actually large enough to make some damn power. But the fact REMAINS, that for ANY given platform there will ALWAYS be guys that will scream from the rooftops about how awesome ____ setup is because it makes ___lbs of boost by ____rpm. These "gauge watchers" think a boost gauge equals success. My only point was to try and offer some perspective to the discussion. Yes, a snappy charger is fun on the street. Yes if overdone, (and ill-tuned) a large charger(s) can ruin a truck, although NOT in the way that a pune of a turbo can. At least the big setup will eventually light off and shoot a streak of sh*t down your leg when it blows the tires off at 60+mph.

I guess the good thing is that except for the rare chance that somebody actually puts a drive pressure gauge on the truck, guys choking an engine with a small charger will never have to know what they're missing. So at least they get to feel good about the snappy setup. Well, until they run across someone actually making power and still spooling just as quick with a set of compounds anyway.

Charles,

Forrest knows what works on the 12v trucks. And he's right, on a 12v you want to lean a little smaller. Because our trucks breathe about as well as a 120 year old chain smoker with asthma, and don't spool turbos as well as trucks that breathe better, or trucks that have dynamic timing. And last time I checked, your 7.3 did both of those.

Forrest is not suggesting that he get a charger thats to small, just one that's sized right. Bigger is not always right. Especially on a mild 12v. And newsflash, while low 500s might be hot stiff on a 7.3, it is a mild setup on a 12v.

Shut up, and go away.

I can agree with that, except for the part about belittling the other guy. He did that himself by offering nothing in the way of information or explanation for the OP, and instead made bs playground comments to me. If someone wants to make comments like a 6 yr old who wants the sandbox all to himself I'll treat them that way. If you haven't noticed, I don't participate in any popularity contests, so I don't give a damn what anybody, or any "group" feels about something. I just deal in tangible things. Feelings and emotions are a waste of time in a discussion like this one. They don't make engines stronger, nor truck's faster.

I learned years ago that arguing with idiots is a waste of breath and typing.

Charles,

Forrest knows what works on the 12v trucks. And he's right, on a 12v you want to lean a little smaller. Because our trucks breathe about as well as a 120 year old chain smoker with asthma, and don't spool turbos as well as trucks that breathe better, or trucks that have dynamic timing. And last time I checked, your 7.3 did both of those.

Forrest is not suggesting that he get a charger thats to small, just one that's sized right. Bigger is not always right. Especially on a mild 12v. And newsflash, while low 500s might be hot stiff on a 7.3, it is a mild setup on a 12v.

Shut up, and go away.

What does low 500's have to do with the damn thread? Or anything in it?

And why do you guys keep making these brilliant arguments that a 7.3L Powerstroke is better than a P7100 equipped 5.9 for a street truck? You and Forrest have now both made the same argument. Maybe you should sell your pos with static timing, that won't breath and is lacking displacement then. They seem to work great to me, but to hear you two describe them you'd swear they were the biggest pieces of crap on the planet.

Last edited:
Back