Twins, Exrernal Gate, and Nitrous

tatkins85

Ok so ive had a single turbo for a while now and I just installed allot of nitrous also. But then I started readying up on all the information about silver bullets giving way with the use of the nitrous and no external gate. So then started researching external gates and almost bought one so I could start you use my nitrous. But then I found out that I could get a good deal on another turbo to do twins so now im going to do that. So my question to you guys is do I need an external gate with twins? Or do I just keep the stock gates and set the small turbos stock gate to open at a low psi like 30 or something to make sure even if the nitrous blows by the gate it still wont go over to much for it? And can I over boost my bigger turbo (big brother)? Would I need to set the gate on that one? Or do I still need to by an external gate to make sure the total amount of boost from both turbos dos not exceed a point? Or do I have to buy separate waste gates for each turbo and put on each or one on one of them? And if so who sells them? I don’t know anything about waste gates or twins both are new to me so anything I need to know or should know please fill me in. thanks guys.

The internal gate will be enough for when you are not using nitrous, but you will still need an external gate to spray it.
I would recommend plumbing the external gate in between the manifold and the secondary turbo and have it dump into the down pipe.

I've seen where people use the stock gate on the silver bullet or whatever top charger, and then put an external gate on the hot pipe to the second charger. Real extreme nitrous trucks will run an external gate before both chargers,(including the gated top charger) to protect them. I have a non-gated top charger using dual external gates on my truck. Lots of variations and it really depends on how far you are going with the nitrous use.

GRotman i was planning on buying one of your external gates so if i buy one do you guys have directions on how to plumbing the external gate in between the manifold and the secondary turbo and have it dump into the down pipe?

and wouldnt that just managed the turbos combined? how would i restrict my silver bullet to a lower boost? would i just use the stock waste gate and hope that dos the job or do i just not understand something here?

Yes, this would manage both turbo's combined. The internal wastegate on the silver bullet is enough to control the secondary for up to an 80mm primary. The external wastegate would only come into effect when using nitrous.

i was thinking of turning the silver bullet to around 35 psi without and external controling that wouldnt the nitrous just make it blow my the stock gate on the sb.

sorry if these are stupid questions but i dont know @#!* about these gates or twins.

yes the nitrous will blow open the internal gate, but it will not flow enough with gate wide open to control turbine speed, it will also overspeed the primary.