Twins Primary Placement

sundaybacon

Dat ass
Trying to decide how I should plumb the twins in my first gen. Being that I have a bit more room to work with then the newer trucks, I'm thinking I want to try something a little different.

ahe3ujys.jpg

bezezaze.jpg

I really like how lostnwalmart mounted his primary. Only thing is the length of the hot pipe has me concerned.I Keep reading it has an effect on spool up. But no one has really provided any proof to this. I'm building a set of towing twins so response is key. But I like the idea of having the primary right there when you open the hood, for shock factor and making it easier to wrench on things.

I mocked my hx55 up below the 341 the traditional way(over/under), and it would be a tight squeeze to the frame rail, that's why I'm looking to other options.

that's where im mounting the primary in my first gen but the hot pipe is on top not bottom how ever I think if I wasn't running the 3b id run it like you have

FYI I stole those pics from his thread.

Keep in mind its a 5spd so no heat exchanger and its a first gen...so much more room to utilize.

Can't turn the secondary around because he341s have a 90* comp outlet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Im thinking about mounting my primary out front... Industrials new kits are setup like this also

productimage-picture-add-turbo-your-phatshaft-1445.jpg

This might help some.

Attachments

• IMAG0532.jpg
    IMAG0532.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0534.jpg
    IMAG0534.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
Any comparison to traditional twin setups, lag wise, having the hot pipe that long.

Thanks guys those are some nice setups.

Any comparison to traditional twin setups, lag wise, having the hot pipe that long.

Here's a picture of the setup in one of my 1st gens. Not the Layout you want but the hotpipe is pretty long....

IMAG0508.jpg

Twin turbos singing! - YouTube

^^^^
This is how the setup spools. Easing into it while running down the road at 55 mph, letting off at around 85 mph IIRC. S300g over box stock 171702 S475. 12mm VE and 6x.016 injectors, other mods in sig.

Turn your secondary around backwards for a short hotpipe.

2sgn080agree.gif
I think this looks and works the best. You can keep the hotpipe short, and the smaller cold pipe gives you more room and can be painted or coated instead of wrapped. And I've seen them on a first gen:

2010-03-20131513.jpg

1001dp_031993_dodge_w250cummins_die.jpg

Or a 3rd gen:
100_0701.jpg

sideview.jpg

Thanks guys those are some nice setups.

The longer the pipe and the more the bends in it the more negative effect it will have on spool

I like that, I believe I will be doing mine that way. Any more pics of a setup like that ?

Here are the only two pictures I took of an II kit. After that I was too busy trying to make their stuff fit to take more pictures.

IMG_20120508_170826.jpg

IMG_20120508_170818.jpg

The spoolup is as bad as one would think. Turbo selection, pipe size, bends and keeping the thermo energy contained makes a huge difference.

I was thinking that having the he341 for a secondary should help spool up if the hot pipe length has that much effect. Heat wrap is in the plans as well.

^That s3/400 set up spooled damn good for rolling into the throttle.

I was under the impression that the secondary helps spool the primary?

I would say that is an inaccuracy. Correlation does not imply causation. What is happening with a quick spooling secondary is your just getting into the fuel sooner because you have the air, so you end up creating much more exhaust and egt quicker and soon, which is what helps spool the primary. Not really per say the secondary helping, but its just doing its job.

With the long pipe, your loseing heat and velocity, which is what spools the primary. Only thing that powers a turbo is exhaust passing through the turbine.