Twins rebuild

OnVacation

After grenading my primary turbo on my twins fresh back from a rebuild, I had to let the truck sit for a while, but time is up and its time to fix the truck again. While the primary exploded, the only damage to the atmospheric turbo were some knicked up fins on the turbine wheel, so I'd like to keep the HX60 and rebuild with that as the atmospheric.

I made some calls to a few turbo shops, and this is what I was considering for a twins setup:

SteedSpeed T4 manifold with side mounted external wastegates (I have to mount the manifold upside down to have enough clearnace for the suspension, and that would leave the wastegate where the second turbo would sit if I use the typical center mount location) I know this would mean more moving parts and extra piping, but I can't think of another option that would give me clearance. (I did look at the ED wastegate that spaces out the turbo, but it would put the turbo into the heater box...)

Garrett GTX3582R - this is their ball bearing, billet wheel turbo, 62.5mm inducer

I'm going to work with a local puller for the piping for a nice, clean install. I'd like something that has a quick spool and plenty of air on the top end. I don't tow all that often, but I do on occassion. like most guys, I want the best of everything.

Opinions on this setup? Other options for wastegating this?

I think this is what you need?
42e22dfb-3972-573d.jpg

Steed makes them this way also.

^^^

That is what I need. I didn't know they made them that way. I thought it would interfere with the turbo. Do you connect the wastegate directly to the flange, or use a pipe for clearance?

Not sure on the clearance yet but it will be the valve cover if there is an issue. Mocking it up this Saturday. I have a 45° bent piece of 2" just in case.
42e22dfb-3cb6-9cba.jpg

This is another members engine.

I think that's probably the route I'd take, clean install minimizing the moving pieces.

Hopefully someone else chimes in regarding the turbo suitability...

Back