twins with 62/71/13

dfairchild19

hey guys,
im trying to decide whether to go with twins now or wait.
im running my 62/71/13 with 125 hp injectors at the moment. i will either upgrade to twins or just upgrade injectors and stay with this single. just need to figure out about what it will cost to do the twins.
im looking for some advice on a turbo to run with me htt 62/71/13 ss. ill also be looking for injectors to match the setup.
if anyone would point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.
thanks!!!
derek

Auto or manual? What's your power goal and what do you want to do with the truck?

you can run either a k31 or a s475 would work good as a bottom turbo.
depending on the turbo cost and if you're going to fab the piping yourself $1250-$2500 for the twins.

Auto or manual? What's your power goal and what do you want to do with the truck?
auto truck, would like right at 600 and its daily driver and will tow a 3 horse gn with living quarters.
you can run either a k31 or a s475 would work good as a bottom turbo.
depending on the turbo cost and if you're going to fab the piping yourself $1250-$2500 for the twins.
i will fab the piping myself

i would say with it being a daily driver and towing with it i would not go to large on the bottom charger. i'm almost pretty sure that the BD towing twins are a 62 over a k31 and they will support way more than 600 i have a buddy running the same setup on a 12v and he is putting down like 650-700hp

lose the the 62 or drop down to a smaller exhaust wheel. i hate my setup right now. i have a IIPS 62/71/14 over a k31 with the light comp wheel and the bottom charger doesnt lite up until around 2200, which sucks on the streets and my egts are around 800-1000 cruising. you may have better luck with the 24v head but my has some porting on the exhaust side and a helix 2 cam and i can still black out 2 miles of I-95. thats with DDP2's. I dont wanna even attempt to hook a trailer to it just yet. this a 5 speed with gear vendors. im lookig for a like 57-62-14.

lose the the 62 or drop down to a smaller exhaust wheel. i hate my setup right now. i have a IIPS 62/71/14 over a k31 with the light comp wheel and the bottom charger doesnt lite up until around 2200, which sucks on the streets and my egts are around 800-1000 cruising. you may have better luck with the 24v head but my has some porting on the exhaust side and a helix 2 cam and i can still black out 2 miles of I-95. thats with DDP2's. I dont wanna even attempt to hook a trailer to it just yet. this a 5 speed with gear vendors. im lookig for a like 57-62-14.

thanks bobby for jumping in here and answering that. it was his setup i was talking about only thing is with the 13ss exhaust housing it might spool better than the 14 exhaust housing.

PhatShaft Compound Turbochargers

The Compound PhatShaft turbos for the Cummins 5.9L are offered in two different kits, Towing and Racing. Compound PhatShaft towing turbos are built with a PhatShaft 62 as the primary charger with the K31 as the secondary charger. Both the primary and secondary turbo’s on the towing Compounds are wastegated for ultimate control of boost and back pressure. This unique combination offers quick spool up and unmatched towing capabilities. The Compound PhatShaft racing turbos are built with a Silver Bullet as the primary turbocharger and a modified Big Brother as the secondary charger. The racing compouns are a perfectly matched set of turbo's for over 800HP

so should i look for a smaller set of twins then?? bd tow or r700 if they have them for 2nd gen yet...... i dont want to do twins and end up with more lag than i already have. or do you think i would be able to light the 62/k31 combo with a set of 220s??
thanks for the help so far guys

i would say with it being a daily driver and towing with it i would not go to large on the bottom charger. i'm almost pretty sure that the BD towing twins are a 62 over a k31 and they will support way more than 600 i have a buddy running the same setup on a 12v and he is putting down like 650-700hp

I think the r700's are a 64 over a k31....... tow twins are 57 over a 64.

if you look at the II towing twins they are 62 over a k31. not sure though if the 62 is a 65 or 71 with a 12cm exhaust housing.

if i were i would start off with the charger you have and just pick up a nice k-31 they can be got for between 300-600$. then if it doesnt work, you can sell the top charger and have more than enough to buy a smaller. but remember you dont need alot of fuel for twins and that k-31 is going to run out at the upper rpms if you ever take it to a dyno

so the verdict is that the 62/71/13ss will cause the set of twins to be to laggy.

so the verdict is that the 62/71/13ss will cause the set of twins to be to laggy.

i think that may be the verdict. if anyone else has any input or experience with twins with this turbo i would be glad to hear it, otherwise, exactly what size turbos should i go with for a solid setup good for about 600??

btw, thanks skynyrd and the rest of you for your help and input!!!:thankyou2:

crabbelle, i just re-read this and thought about it and arent the DDP 2 injectors rated at like 90hp?? i would think you should be running at least a 200hp injector to fuel those twins........ just a thought of why yours are so laggy right now......

on another note, i was suggested to run an s480 with my turbo and maybe 220hp injectors, any input on that??

what are the specs of the s480 and s475??

Im running a 62/71/13ss and eventually wanna put a k31 or an s475 under it and run like 220s or 240s. I have always been told expect twins to spool 100-200rpms later if you are running the same turbo for your top turbo when u were running it for a single

Im running a 62/71/13ss and eventually wanna put a k31 or an s475 under it and run like 220s or 240s. I have always been told expect twins to spool 100-200rpms later if you are running the same turbo for your top turbo when u were running it for a single

ok that makes sense, i was told that spool up would be faster than what i have now but the way you put it does make sense though.:Cheer: