Unconventional triple turbo configuration

JoshH

I was following along with a build thread on another forum, when I saw something in the way his triple turbo setup that didn't make sense to me. When I asked about it, he said it was done that way in quite a few of the top pullers for a while. I've never seen it before, but I thought I would ask here because I just can't see how it would work right.

Let me start by saying every compound setup I've ever seen whether it is twins or triples or whatever has it so the exhaust passes through the secondary stage first, then the primary stage, and after the secondary then it's out the down pipe(s). On the compressor side the air enters the primary stage first where it is compressed and sent to the secondary to be further compressed before it is sent to the engine.

This is on a Duramax. There are two GT4202R turbos that are each connected to a cylinder bank. The exhaust leaves each of those turbos and both feed into 1 GT 5541R. That in itself seems a little different, but I can see how it might work if the 4202s are the secondary stage and the 5541 is feeding air into them. However, this system is designed so the 4202s are the atmosphere turbos, and the 5541 is the high pressure turbo.

Does anyone know of anyone running a turbo system like that? Do you have any pics or videos of it running? Is there any advantage to doing it like this over a regular setup?

This is the best I can do right now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
Here's the picture without the drawing so you can see the exhaust side better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
As long as that GT55 out flows the two 4202's, pressure is being compounded.

Curious what fuel he has to drive those 4202's individually off each bank.

This is actually my truck. Twin stroker 125's and 62LPM injectors

Here's another picture

Attachments

• 1005547_10151930610752443_812039104_n (1).jpg
    1005547_10151930610752443_812039104_n (1).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
This is actually my truck. Twin stroker 125's and 62LPM injectors

So what I'm seeing is that the exhaust side is switched? It goes to the atmosphere turbos first, and then to the high pressure turbo? That right?

Well, I'm intrigued!

At fist I was thinking this what I would do for compounds if I hade a v8. After looking at it, the turbine side is how i would set it up, however the compressor side has me wondering.

Totally interested in the results!

Looks to me like its just a "true" twin turbo setup, compounded with a primary. Not a compounded tripple setup. Thats how it looked to me when I seen it anyway.

Looks to me like its just a "true" twin turbo setup, compounded with a primary. Not a compounded tripple setup. Thats how it looked to me when I seen it anyway.

That's exactly what it looks like to me...

The craftsmanship that we can see looks absolutely great. I wouldn't mind see a full build thread on this.

I don't see how there is enough spread between turbine flow. 2 week work binge has my mind mush too though.

Makes for a nice layout.

Last edited:
I have been thinking of doing the same thing forever, with everyone telling me it won't work.

My mind is saying you put the exhaust heat to the atmospheres/primaries first, then on to the secondary. My reasoning is, the secondary is small enough you can drive it easier anyway, so why not try to use the heat to the fullest potential and drive the bigger chargers first.

Now, keep in mind I'm usually talking about a twin set, instead of triples, but it could work in triples as well....this set however, I can see being WAY too big to effectively driven like this. A set of parallel GT4202's is a ton of air by itself, not to mention trying to spin a GT5541 as the high pressure. Massive air if you can spin them to the center of their respective maps.

Chris

Edit, looking at the maps, not sure why the compounding? Can you shed some light on you're thinking?

Last edited:

Are you talking about the compressor side? Why would you want the 55 to outflow the 42s? The 55 is the secondary, it is being fed by the 42s. If it was able to outflow them, they would just be a restriction.

Back