Unconventional triple turbo configuration

You are correct about the laws of gasses but turbochargers are changing day by day with new advances. Let alone the wastegate advances/controls and ideas from fellow diesel gearheads as well as the gas world gearheads. If one thinks a book has all the answers. The same one needs to open there eyes before there past up or there time passes.

Nope, you're wrong. We know everything we're ever going to know. LOL

If one thinks a book has all the answers. The same one needs to open there eyes before there past up or there time passes.

And that just happened!

I might add it to my sig.

You are correct about the laws of gasses but turbochargers are changing day by day with new advances. Let alone the wastegate advances/controls and ideas from fellow diesel gearheads as well as the gas world gearheads. If one thinks a book has all the answers. The same one needs to open there eyes before there past up or there time passes.

Everything has been tried out, advances in technology just made it cheaper for poor gearheads to take into use. If one thinks he has found something new he better go back to school. I have never seen anything new found out by some amateur engine builder.

Everything has been tried out, advances in technology just made it cheaper for poor gearheads to take into use. If one thinks he has found something new he better go back to school. I have never seen anything new found out by some amateur engine builder.

Your missing the point of my posts. If everything has been done then there is no advancements in technology. When one thinks he knows it all then he must he laying tits up. Am i blind or just stupid?

Last edited:

I know what you're saying in theory, yes, everything has been done IN THEORY, but in practice, it IS the little guys who advance technology and motorsports.

Tree'd...dang it.

Just because someone is just starting out doesnt mean he or she is stupid. People have different ideas and ways to approach things. Open your eyes son. We all learn something everyday.

Everything has been tried out, advances in technology just made it cheaper for poor gearheads to take into use.

Has it now? Tons of stuff has been done that works and never has been recorded or isnt on the Internet or in a book. In theory, given that the turbos used would spool, this variations of a conventional will work. Same over all volume of gasses and heat, the only unknown would be the effects of the two larger turbine wheels on to velocity of the gasses going to the smaller turbine wheel. You will still have to gate around the small turbo.
So I am not sure where you get the idea where they were trying to reinvent any wheels from!

Has it now? Tons of stuff has been done that works and never has been recorded or isnt on the Internet or in a book. In theory, given that the turbos used would spool, this variations of a conventional will work. Same over all volume of gasses and heat, the only unknown would be the effects of the two larger turbine wheels on to velocity of the gasses going to the smaller turbine wheel. You will still have to gate around the small turbo.
So I am not sure where you get the idea where they were trying to reinvent any wheels from!

While I haven't worked on that many machines, every turbine I've ever been on goes from a small, high pressure wheel to a larger, lower pressure wheel. Sometimes, it'll go from a larger, high pressure wheel to two, smaller, lower pressure wheels (like a conventional triple configuration). Never have I seen a steam or gas turbine go from a wheel with a larger flow rate to a lower one. I'm assuming the folks at Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, GE, Alstom have looked at this option and the math didn't pan out.

While I haven't worked on that many machines, every turbine I've ever been on goes from a small, high pressure wheel to a larger, lower pressure wheel. Sometimes, it'll go from a larger, high pressure wheel to two, smaller, lower pressure wheels (like a conventional triple configuration). Never have I seen a steam or gas turbine go from a wheel with a larger flow rate to a lower one. I'm assuming the folks at Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, GE, Alstom have looked at this option and the math didn't pan out.
I am assuming that some of this is more for max efficiency and performance vs spool up and driveability. I don't have any software to prove this one way or another, but i would really interested in the results.

It would be for efficiency and power. Spool up and driveability really aren't considerations of a steam turbine since it doesn't drive anything other than a generator. But a turbine is a turbine is a turbine, its still about heat and pressure differentials.

Back