upgrade rad or something different

winkdemon

Fast, Cheap or Reliable.
well guys i think it is time for a upgrade rad in the my 95 , last summer when i was pulling i was having to back out of the fuel all the time to cool the engine temp off , so i was thinking built tough or griffin is there any others making them ?

or i was thinking i can buy a new stock rad for 200 bucks now that being said what if i run a smaller rad in the back of the truck (feed by heater core lines ) to help cooler the temps off ? i have a rad and fan that i can use for this.

i live i canada so i have to look at what it will cost me for shipping and duty if the rad is 400US by the time i get it with taxes it will be 550-600

The cooling fins are probly packed with dirt id pull it out and pressure wash it. Check fan clutch

Also could have some of the ducts inside the rad colapsing also. I have seen guys take those old cummins and work the crap out of them with the stock rad without any issues.

the rad i have in it is for a 2002 cummins and i acid cleaned last year , rad is clean on the outside , the truck is around 500hp at the wheels and i pull a 11000lbs rv tralier with it , i am sure that is part of my problem but i like both the trailer and the power lol

Last edited:
But it could be collapsing on the inside... thats what I am thinking... What timing do run while towing?

that's ture ,don't see much of that though.I have another good rad , i should try that one , i keep it around 17-18 all the time , right now i have it 20 but i am going to turn it down this week. just turn it up when i put the fresh engine in.I thought it maybe low ,

Last edited:
I can't believe no one has come up with a radiator for the second gen since they are such an issue when towing with some power.

I have never had an issue with mine with the 12v or 24v in it. I run 50/50 of the fleet charge before and now using CAT coolant. I have towed without the fan before without any overheating issues.

Have you thought about running an extra oil cooler? Or tries running it without a thermostat?

I hit red a number of times towing 6-7k with less then 500 HP. Fleetguard coolant, clean radiator. I've heard by many that 500+ and you can't tow without issues in a second Gen due to the cooling system.

i run cummins coolant (free) , has a new t stat , going to have a new rad just a stock one i think for now , I not looking to run with out the stat hopefully hoping to fix it . a oil cooler would help , that's a good idea. I have a oil filter relocation kit so that would be really easy to put one on

With a 180* tstat in my 12v I pulled close to 12k with no issues. I have yet to have one problem. Pull 6-9k skid steers every now and then also. Never goes over 190* and even if the temp gauge is off it doesn't get hot enough to kick on the fan.

Don't know if its just my truck or this area, but I don't have any temp issues. I am not trying to argue just trying to figure out why there is all these issues with everyone around 500+ is having heat issues When I am doing pretty much the same thing at similar power level.

well i am at 3600 feet above sea level and by times going though the mountains, when you say 12k in weight is that just the trailer weight , my trailer weights just 11k , i have no problem with my bobcat and trailer , not sure what its weight is though

No that is just the load. My truck and trailer together weigh right around 10k together. That's with the gooseneck or the car trailer. I average 16-22k when I pull trailers loaded. I am around 2k feet elevation.

I have never had an issue with mine with the 12v or 24v in it. I run 50/50 of the fleet charge before and now using CAT coolant. I have towed without the fan before without any overheating issues.

Have you thought about running an extra oil cooler? Or tries running it without a thermostat?

Yay for cat coolant!!! are you talking about the elc? (extended life coolant) have heard it is great and doesnt break down over time or with high heat.

mishimoto just came out with an all aluminum radiator for 2nd gens...but its $900

I dont see how 500 horse can case coolant heat issues. Doesn't make much since to me. Are you sure your gauge is working properly?