upgraded shafts for the aam 11.5 rear axle

blownsmoke2

Trying to make a hook
I'm tired of breaking stock shafts, who makes one that will hold up. Need to get it back together by SDX this weekend.

I think Yukon has the 38 spline stuff. Not positive on that though.

Something else is wrong if you are breaking 11.5 AAM axle shafts at 775hp. Those stock axles are strong enough to withstand 1200hp+ for some time.

Something else is wrong if you are breaking 11.5 AAM axle shafts at 775hp. Those stock axles are strong enough to withstand 1200hp+ for some time.

It isn't the HP that breaks them it is the torque, and I am seeing them broken more and more. Especially if the truck doesn't hook smoothly.

775hp over 2 yrs ago, with a hard time lighting charger and 20 psi short on boost so I know lack of power isnt an issue. Truck is making plenty more since then.

Truck is used for sled pulling and has duels on rear. It usually twist the caps right off end of axle. Like Dan says since its rpm limited all the tq kills parts.

Anybody know of any, or due I buy another oem to get by.

Jt's says they had problems with them and the manufactures pulled them off market.

Randy's says Yukon has a 4340 Chrome molly for $309 that you have to cut to length.

Anybody have any luck with Yukon? I've heard the d80 axles are junk.

Let us know how the yukons work, as im sure youve found theres not a ton of good info out there for the AAM axles for pullers, theres some threads but not many....its good that you know your power level and duals and for pulling itll help a lot of guys out if you report back after the first hook and again if they break or not again. Thanks

I'm interested in this as well. I have the stock LSD in my 2wd truck but it has 405,000 miles on it, so it doesn't hook up like it should. I'm thinking about going with the Detroit Truetrac and upgrading the axles as well (although I haven't done any research to see if they make a Truetrac with the 38-spline to fit the AAM 11.5. I saw an article in Diesel Power about the Yukon 38-spline axle shaft upgrade where they also upgrade to the Grizzly Locker.

When I find out more info, I'll post here.

I put moser's in mine. way beefier than the stockers. They were made to the exact size I needed and came in a couple of days. They are based in Indiana. Less than 400 shipped

I'm running the Detroit true trac, has performed flawlessly on or off road. 1st axle shaft took out factory carrier then my stock 06 broke the factory locker as well. Now it has a ARB. I like having the compressor but it is a POS for pulling trailers, just as easy to lock it in 4 wheel as flip the compressor and arb switch. True tracs were on back order or it would be in that truck as well.

Yukons will be here in 2 days $333.16 ea delivered.

Ill go get some new hacksaw blades tomorrow since we have to cut it down LOLLOLLOL........

Breaking axles

775hp over 2 yrs ago, with a hard time lighting charger and 20 psi short on boost so I know lack of power isnt an issue. Truck is making plenty more since then.

Truck is used for sled pulling and has duels on rear. It usually twist the caps right off end of axle. Like Dan says since its rpm limited all the tq kills parts.

Anybody know of any, or due I buy another oem to get by.

The drw are a major contributor.

Well rear shaft is fixed, takes a while to cut with chop saw. Have to see how much tougher the yukons are.