upgrading a 12 valve

blackcummins

Hey guys in the next couple months im thinking of doing some upgrades to my truck (1997 12 valve 5speed 4x4) i probably have about 5-6000 to play with but it is driven daily and used as a landscape truck so it has to be reliable but i want this thing to have some balls. o and some smoke for the ricers when im unhooked. thanks

First and foremost get some gauges,boost,pyro. You should also look into a decent 4" exhaust system as well, and whatever cold air kit of your choice. I would personally grind the fuel plate to make a #100 plate out of it. And then get ready to buy a healthy DD clutch to handle the power cuz there isn't a stock clutch out there that'll hold a #100 plate. I currently have a haisley double disk street/puller that i love.And when you upgrade to the double disk design most of the clutches will require the use of the larger 1 3/8" input shaft to help strengthin up the NV4500.I use my truck to tow with constantly and my temps don't get too outta control while towing.Many of the guys on here will be glad to point you in the rite direction. These are just some of the most basic upgrades you can do to the mighty 12 valve.

If you use it for towing and a daily driver, I would go with a #10 plate, MAYBE a #100.

3kgsk with some pump tuning.

YES, there are single disc clutches that will EASILY hold the power you are looking at.
South Bend Clutch has a Con OFE thats good to over 450hp for around $900. Many people on here run this clutch and have dynod over 500hp with it.
Valair Clutch is another good manufacturer that has some cheaper prices you can get their ofe 13" clutch for $500.

You can then go with a set of injectors, New Era diesel makes some nice sets for reasonable.

If you have some cash left over, which you should, check out High Tech Turbo and Industrial Injection for some nice turbo upgrades. If you tow stay with a 62mm wheel, anything bigger gets to laggy.

One thing I will agree about with jdog56 is get some gauges. Pyro and boost is minimum.
Also a 4" exhaust and Intake will help.

Just doing some searching on here will give you a TON of info.

Just to clarify things i was talkin about stock replacement clutches that won't hold that kind of power, not single disc clutches in general. I've never towed with a heavy single disc so i'm unsure of the manners they have and therefore don't mention much about them. I however have towed with my DD and to date haven't had an issue with backing up or shifting with it under heavy load so thats why i made mention of a DD if he'll tow with tons of torque. I just felt i'd clarify on that before the wrong person reads that and the thread gets heated lol.

If you use it for towing and a daily driver, I would go with a #10 plate, MAYBE a #100.

3kgsk with some pump tuning.

YES, there are single disc clutches that will EASILY hold the power you are looking at.
South Bend Clutch has a Con OFE thats good to over 450hp for around $900. Many people on here run this clutch and have dynod over 500hp with it.
Valair Clutch is another good manufacturer that has some cheaper prices you can get their ofe 13" clutch for $500.

You can then go with a set of injectors, New Era diesel makes some nice sets for reasonable.

If you have some cash left over, which you should, check out High Tech Turbo and Industrial Injection for some nice turbo upgrades. If you tow stay with a 62mm wheel, anything bigger gets to laggy.

One thing I will agree about with jdog56 is get some gauges. Pyro and boost is minimum.
Also a 4" exhaust and Intake will help.

Just doing some searching on here will give you a TON of info.

Hey be careful with valair...i had a 450hp clutch from them (not the 13in) and broke the center hub out of it...just the center where the shaft goes through which i dont think should have never ever went out i could turn it by hand...i never did a burnout with it or raced or pulled a sled, just trailers. I know im not sitting over 320 hp. i just put in a south bend con ofe with the 13 in so well see how it does

like south bend says...DONT TRY TO SAVE MONEY WHEN CHOOSING A CLUTCH. itll only screw you in the end.

Did you talk to Dan about your issues with the clutch?

I have a SB OFE with a busted center section, and a fried FE in my shed...

I've heard nothing but good about his customer service, give him a shot to make it right.

As soon as I get the cash I'll be buying a clutch from him. I blew all my truck money hunting:D

yea okay i'll let you know if i do something with it. you know dan?

I don't know him, but I've talked to him a bunch. He's a heck of a nice guy. Every time I call him about something he always takes the time to answer my questions, and just shoot the bull with him. Tell him Rick's buddy Nick said to call him:D

Hey be careful with valair...i had a 450hp clutch from them (not the 13in) and broke the center hub out of it...just the center where the shaft goes through which i dont think should have never ever went out i could turn it by hand...i never did a burnout with it or raced or pulled a sled, just trailers. I know im not sitting over 320 hp. i just put in a south bend con ofe with the 13 in so well see how it does

I'm alittle late posting today, but I wanted to say SBC has the same issues.

I don't know him, but I've talked to him a bunch. He's a heck of a nice guy. Every time I call him about something he always takes the time to answer my questions, and just shoot the bull with him. Tell him Rick's buddy Nick said to call him:D

Okay haha I will!

The center braking out is the problem with these disks I had the center brake out on a stock one do to the pilot bearing going out and had to drive from Vegas to mpls with no release, these ctds put the disk hub to a real test.Valair have done best by me great service and a price thats affordable.