upgrading stock turbo

number9t

i got a couple of questions for you guys. i'm new to the diesel performance world. i just bought a 1999 powerstroke with 90k on it. it was built in june of 99. right now its bone stock. i've been buying several parts for it. i'm in iraq right now want to be coming home to a nice big pile of parts to put on it. so far i've bought a TS 6 position chip, S&B intake, 4in turboback exhaust, propane injection, and water/meth injection system. i plan on later buying a whole new turbo, injectors, and hpop, but until i get the money together for that, i was wondering if getting a switzer compressor wheel and rebuilding the stock turbo would be worth the time? any other mods that you guys think that i should do? i would like to eventually end up with around 500-550 rwhp, and would like a place to start. i've also heard about the powdered metal rods that are in powerstrokes that come apart at these hp levels. how do i find out if they are in my motor? any help would be great, thanks
Andy:Cheer:

the compressor wheel helps a whole lot with the turbo surge. a bunch. and a lil faster spooling. someone where is selling a slightly used garrett bb turbo. save your money and get it instead of wasting time and money on the stock. a good rebuild with balancing averaged 300+. then add shipping and the cost of the wheel. the stock turbo will still be a choker. other guys will chime in that know a heck of a lot more than me with bettr advice. my opinion, ditch the stocker and get something better

you'll like the wheel. also i recommend going w/ a non wastegated turbine housing. thats what i did w/ mine and w/ stage II's and a chip, pulling a gn trailer i have no surge at all.

you dont have to worry about powerded metal rods in a 99:)