Use your head not your money..tappets vs.Lifter width

You talk about how much harder the steel cam is vs. the cast cam... How much stronger are we talking? Is the steel cam hardened at all or is it just raw steel?

It is only 2-4 points rockwell "c" scale harder than the cast cam depending on the cam. That is really not the point though, It is a completely different material though. The hydraulic action of the oil between the tappet and the lobe will not unseat material and create pits in the lobe like is possible in a cast cam.

Yes, it is fully hardened, with a .120" case depth from the surface of the unground lobe

It is only 2-4 points rockwell "c" scale harder than the cast cam depending on the cam. That is really not the point though, It is a completely different material though. The hydraulic action of the oil between the tappet and the lobe will not unseat material and create pits in the lobe like is possible in a cast cam.

Yes, it is fully hardened, with a .120" case depth from the surface of the unground lobe

Understood. You say zinc additive, What additive are you recommending? I can't find the pure zinc anymore these days.

After the steel cam is ground how much of the case is left? Do you do any hardening process after the grind? Just out of curiosity

Thanks

Understood. You say zinc additive, What additive are you recommending? I can't find the pure zinc anymore these days.

After the steel cam is ground how much of the case is left? Do you do any hardening process after the grind? Just out of curiosity

Thanks

about .080" is left. No additional treatments are necessary. WE sell a zinc additive made by camshield. We switched to it about a year ago becaus the concentration was much higher than zddp plus

about .080" is left. No additional treatments are necessary. WE sell a zinc additive made by camshield. We switched to it about a year ago becaus the concentration was much higher than zddp plus

Also another question out of curiosity lol... Is the steel cam tested for flex or twist vs. the cast cam? I don't think a cam would flex or twist even with high rpms and some heavy springs but it seems a steel cam would be more likely to twist or flex vs. a cast cam. NOT taking into consideration that something else would give first.

Cams can and do twist to an extent. I do not think it is anything major, but at some point it might become an issue. With the spring pressures we run and the relatively low rpm we are fine. I do not test one vs the other.