Used Pump buying advice?

Stokes

Hi Guys, i have been lurking for a bit trying to line up parts and what not to P-pump my 99 24v that will eventally end up in my F350. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what you should look out for when buying a used P7100 pump that is not on a motor? is there a particular milage that these pumps will hit then need a rebuild or is it purly a game of risk?
i have searched around and sorry if this question has already been covered.
thanks

its tough to say about which one to look for the 180hp and up, maybe a 215 pump. the condition of the pump could depend on the maintance of the engine. if it came off of a damaged engine i would stay away. a virgin pump would probably be better to look for. maybe one that has already been tuned by a reputable shop.

If you have a diesel injection place near you I'm sure they probably either have or know of someone that does have a good working used pump for sale. Go for a 180hp pump if you can.

80-90kish on my 94 175hp truck and its pump needed rebuilt, stock grandpa truck also. 250k on another 175pump truck and the motor needs a rebuild. So... you win some you lose some and nothing lasts forever!

i would say pull the dv and make sure the barrels go up and down. also they should spin a little when they go up and down.
other then that buy one and send it to dpe and they will take care of you
jake

take the afc cover off and make sure the rack isn't frozen. i've ended up with 2 pumps with siezed racks not much to free up.

I found a deal locally for a 190 horse pump/cover/gear/case ect for 800 which sounds like the ticket as far as deal wise goes. but its a 810 model P7100 pump off of a Bluebird bus engine which people seem to have mixed feelings about? some say it has a different internal timing due to it being a industrial app, does that hold some truth? i was under the impression the timing of the pump depends on the orientation on the timing cover not internally. would i be better to just walk away from it?

the issue that is with those pumps is the notched plungers which at high rpms retard timing. they are good thats is the engine i have in my conversion and it has worked fine for me but have heard that it is not one for a high horsepower quest. you will be fine with that pump and all ppump covers are the same as far as i know and have seen. its the internals of the pumps that are different and that pump other than the notched plungers is equivilant to a 160 pump. if you need more in depth info give Seth @ DPE a call he should be able to give you the advice you need.

Last edited:
find either a 180 or a 215 pump and have kevin from northeast diesel service work his magic for your quest. he just did a 215 for me and i put it on a buddys stock cammed single turbo 24v and it made 657hp on drakes dyno without any real tuning.. you wont beat his prices or customer service.

Back