using a semi for personal use

A requirement of DOT if you travel outside of a radious iin a commercial vehicle greater than 150 miles even though your not useing commercially and that puts you under hours of regulation

Exactly.... it sucks too because they will get you no matter what... I haul my own stuff and am required to have a usdot number, class a cdl, annual inspection on the truck and trailer,log book, on and on and on....If a 5th wheel travel trailer was being pulled behind that semi and there were private not for hire stickers on the semi then maybe it could be done. Anything behind that truck other than an rv and its a serious roll of the dice...

with as much property as you've got and as much as you're going to use that dozer, I'd just have the damn thing delivered

I have dumped 6 k or so in the last couple of years. It's starting to Piss me off. And I have hired up some winners to deliver it. The last guy shows up with a bunch of junk equipment and *****es about time he lost loading it. He'll I flipped him another 100 bucks but he still wants more money. I am just tired of dealing with dumb asses. Some reason they think a bid is a estimate.

If you have any friends or neighbors who have trucks on the road, you could probably split buying a trailer with them. They keep it plated and insured and use it to add some income and in return they can haul your stuff. It works well if you have someone you can trust. That's how we move our exacavator and terra-gator, the rest of the time he uses it for commercial work.

i have a local guy i can use, but my place in colorado is 560 miles from my house. i wish i could find someone reliable and fair on the money to haul it for me. but this is getting old. hell i might just buy another dozer in colorado.

i have a local guy i can use, but my place in colorado is 560 miles from my house. i wish i could find someone reliable and fair on the money to haul it for me. but this is getting old. hell i might just buy another dozer in colorado.

Honestly by the time you haul one that far a couple times a year it wouldn't take too long to buy another. Plus much less hassle.

that's what I meant by "you have a lot of property and a lot to do, just have it delivered"

I didn't realize you were hauling it up there when you went up there!!!

**** that, just put a dozer up there and leave it till your'e done with it IMO

and fair on the money to haul it for me.

Trucking is expensive, PERIOD. Especially if there isn't a back haul. Not to mention adding in permits and such.

Just to haul it (not including permits), basically figure in the cost of fuel per gallon and multiply it by the miles to get an estimated cost to haul it without a back haul figured in. So, 1120 miles round trip would be $4200 @ $3.75/gal.

With an oversize load, you also have to figure in they might only be able to take certain route that may not be as direct due to road construction and other restrictions. It adds up.

It might as well be cheaper to buy a machine, use it, and resell when done, than to pay for all the trucking.

to rent a Komastu D51 here (~150hp machine), it cost us ~$150/hr to rent when our D31P broke.

I was planning on leaving the 712 up there and bringing the 45 back to fix and resell. And I sure as he'll don't want to rent one. I had a friend of mine drive his dump truck with the back hoe behind him. He stopped by the scales in new Mexico and they just told him to go on since it was not commercial. the problem with it being personal use seems to be a big gamble.

I know at least in Illinois you now have to have DOT #s and log books on grain trucks up to semis. Honestly if there is any way to get a gooseneck and put it on there that would be the way I would go. In order to take that rig across state lines you will need CDL, Plates, tractor and trailer tested, insurance, DOT #s and some sort of name on the truck, as well as a possible wide load permit. It is a pain in the ass and can get expensive. I don't believe that it is worth it to own a semi to use a couple times a year.

that's what I meant by "you have a lot of property and a lot to do, just have it delivered"

I didn't realize you were hauling it up there when you went up there!!!

**** that, just put a dozer up there and leave it till your'e done with it IMO

i am on my forth dozer, i wish i had just bought the d7 to begine with. i would be done right now.

I got it... get you a Model T pickup cab... set it on the chassis... register it as a Model T... call it a rat rod...

win

OR rent one when you need it and have the rental company deliver it. If you are just doing work a few times a year, why even own a dozer that just sits the rest of the time waiting to have problems that you have to work on???
Man, cut out all the crap of hauling and owning it and buying another one. Just call a rental house and have them bring you whatever you want the day you get there.

They will get you no matter what when the motivation is there. I guess its just a personal decision. If you have balls or fairly good luck just haul it and try to look legit. If you dont have good luck just leave at 9:00 PM with a good scale map. It is a pain and nervous ride eather way.

OR rent one when you need it and have the rental company deliver it. If you are just doing work a few times a year, why even own a dozer that just sits the rest of the time waiting to have problems that you have to work on???
Man, cut out all the crap of hauling and owning it and buying another one. Just call a rental house and have them bring you whatever you want the day you get there.

I have a lot of work to do. At 150 or so an hour I would be in the poor house in a week. I will get it there I just need to do some more research. I could take back roads and never get near a scale if I needed to. But I think I can do it legit.

its usaully around 3k for a month rental sometimes less if their hurting. that renting a 550 jd or a 650 case.

No one charges for a machine by the hour, it's daily/ weekly or monthly. Call a few and you might be surprised.

Remember your medical card. Some inspections on commercial trucks are by annual. If you rent they may require insurance. May be limited to 8 hours of use a day. Some charge heavy to refuel equipment and clean up. I find it cheaper to have my machines hauled. Accidents here in pa turn into law suits You do not have to be at fault just have ins. Look up attorney in the yellow pages, see the phrase" truck accidents "easy money. Hire it hauled or rent sleep at night . just my two cents.