Vaccum pump shaft broke

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
Have any of yall ever heard of this? I put my second power steering pump on the other day (first one had a leak coming from a plug on the back side) and after I fired the truck up I had no power steering or brakes. I got pissed and sent it to a shop to get worked on. They called me today and said the vaccum pump shaft had broke. I did pull the vaccum pump when I did the power steering cause it's so much easier to align the keyway. The shop also said it's not an uncommon problem, but it's not common either and that they had seen several trucks come through their shop with this. Any of yall ever heard of this?

On another note, that bloody vac pump is expensive. Dodge wanted $2200 for it but they guy found one for $1100. Geez louise that's expensive for a pump. Guess I won't whine to much about the cost of my VP anymore.

Yeah. Tell me about it. I wanna know how they break cause in all my years of being around these trucks and on the forums and what not I've never heard of one ever doing that. Oh well.

That Sucks Tyler...I bought one off Ebay about a year ago for $150, sold it to my buddy's Dad for $500 and he was tickled to death...our dealer gave him the same price! His did the same thing!

If you have the time, I'm sure there are some on Ebay! Should save you about $800 at least!
Chris

On a lighter note, Car-Part.com has plenty of used ones for decent prices around here, check it out.

Wish I woulda known about those before the shop went and found one. Not to mention since mom and dad are paying for it (I hate being broke and in college and not being able to work enough) I know that they won't want to put a used part on there.

Tyler we need to start a thread about "the cursed trucks of college station" starting with eric's truck, then my truck, then your truck, and so on.....

I saw it happen on a 94 one time. It happened just after crossing the finish line at the drag strip. Heck of a time to loose power steering and power brakes....

Paul

This is very true. I think eric's truck gave us all it's disease. That truck has been plagued with problems. Let's not forget the maroon truck. That truck is even worse but the SOB is still on the road.

paulb said:
I saw it happen on a 94 one time. It happened just after crossing the finish line at the drag strip. Heck of a time to loose power steering and power brakes....

Paul

Wow. Just reading that is making me pucker up. I can't imagine the guy driving it. I know it was everything I could do just to keep the truck from rolling when in reverse. I can't imagine that after a WOT run at 90+mph.

BgBlDodge said:
This is very true. I think eric's truck gave us all it's disease. That truck has been plagued with problems. Let's not forget the maroon truck. That truck is even worse but the SOB is still on the road.

but the maroon truck keeps going so we can't dog on it too bad. It has lived through hell and back....maybe twice now :hehe:

You have no idea how hard of a life that maroon truck has had and continues to have. LOL

Just got off the phone with fixinrams.com. Remanufactured pump with updated drive coupler and seals, $420 to my door overnighted. He said what usually breaks is the teeth on the drive coupler and they usually go out around 130k miles with big tires. I'm at a 140k.

BgBlDodge said:
Wow. Just reading that is making me pucker up. I can't imagine the guy driving it. I know it was everything I could do just to keep the truck from rolling when in reverse. I can't imagine that after a WOT run at 90+mph.

118mph, if I remember correctly...

BgBlDodge said:
You have no idea how hard of a life that maroon truck has had and continues to have. LOL

Just got off the phone with fixinrams.com. Remanufactured pump with updated drive coupler and seals, $420 to my door overnighted. He said what usually breaks is the teeth on the drive coupler and they usually go out around 130k miles with big tires. I'm at a 140k.

I think that's what happened to the one I fixed...it was on 285's!
Chris

I've been on 315's for 70k now and I've had a front end replacement since january. Not to mention the countless steering boxes I've been through and the constant slow speed turning I do on campus. It's definately been through hell but I didn't think I'd ever take it out.

That's who I got my reman from. Gotlift01 reminded me of him thank god.

BgBlDodge said:
That's who I got my reman from. Gotlift01 reminded me of him thank god.

That's what I do man!:rockwoot: Glad he was able to hook you up!:woohoo:

Yup. Got the pump in to day and it looks brand new. Even has a semi polished housing on it it looks like. Took it to the shop so hopefully I'll get it back today.