Vacume system on dhd241

Johndeere9610

Ford guy
I installed a posi-lock in the front axle do I still need the vacume going to the T-case.

I'm just wanting to clean that area up and get more stuff out of the way.
So if I dont need it I'm going to cap it off at the cowl and remove everything. under the truck.

Thanks
Rusty

By removing the vacuum disconnect on the front axle, I think you will lose your dash light. The switch on the transfer case controls the vacuum going to your front axle. I think it would be safe to start at the vacuum tee by your master cylinder, plug the tee and remove the line going to the transfer case switch. Then, you can remove the lines going to the front axle. You should be able to remove the transfer case switch and plug that hole.

The posi lock has a new switch for the light. My biggest quiestion is that is there something in the t case that needs the vacume.

Thanks
Rusty

Inside the transfer case is a shift dawg or a ramp with different heights. When you shift into 4WD, the shift dawg pushes up on a spring loaded ball at the end of the 4WD switch. This allows the vacuum from the engine to be routed to the front axle. This vacuum is what pulls the shift fork and shift collar and allows the two piece axle to lock together.

I forgot the posi-lock has the mounting point for the 4WD light switch. I see no reason you need any of the vacuum setup. The transfer case vent has its own hose, so I think you will be OK. I am going to be doing this, after I get my other front axle finished. I am installing 35 spline axle shafts, with a one-piece shaft on the passenger side. I am going with lockout hubs, so the vacuum disconnect will not be needed.

Early models used a seperate vent line and late models used the vaccuum switch lines that will be clipped up along with the vaccuum source coming down from the cowl panel. Check to make sure you have a seperate vent hose and if so you can cap off the t-case with a Posi Loc install.