Vacuum brakes to manual brakes

DieselheaD

Looking for insight on this subject. Has anyone removed the vacuum setup on a 2nd gen dodge street truck?

I've seen a couple prostreet trucks with nice wilwood parts, which looks really clean. I'd like to clean up under the hood as much as possible

image_zpsfcvzkvmh.jpg

image_zpslmsscaor.jpg

Firewall mount setup

Im in the same boat, hopefully you will get it all figured out, then tell me exactly how to set mine up. :rockwoot:

Im in the same boat, hopefully you will get it all figured out, then tell me exactly how to set mine up. :rockwoot:

guess I'll just order it and go from there.

I'd like more opinions on how it will perform. Also I'm not sure what pedal ratio would be ideal, as well as master cylinder bore/stroke.

I can't remember where I've read it but the bore depends on whether it's disk or drum brakes. It's all volume based off the size and number of the calipers your using is a way to look at it. Maybe look at a few autocross forums or something along those lines.

I can't remember where I've read it but the bore depends on whether it's disk or drum brakes. It's all volume based off the size and number of the calipers your using is a way to look at it. Maybe look at a few autocross forums or something along those lines.

I figured it's an important variable, hoping someone here has that answer.

The truck has factory front disc brakes, and a disc brake conversion on the Dana80 in the rear.

I would suggest calling and talking to the folks at Willwood's tech department. They will likely be able to help you out more in a few minutes than hours of internet research. I hate talking on the phone, and love searching internet forums, websites, blogs, etc, but calling the vendor has always pointed me in the right direction after my google fu fails to provide specific details critical to many projects.

Wilwood will most likely tell you 1 1/16" bore and a pedal ratio of 6:1
We are doing this on JP's truck using the stock pedal assembly with the master cylinder below.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/str-b3359ta

Can I eliminate the brake booster on the firewall? Thanks for the info Corey

To be honest I don't understand exactly how the brake system works with a vacuum booster. I assume it helps apply pressure with less pedal input.

I would suggest calling and talking to the folks at Willwood's tech department. They will likely be able to help you out more in a few minutes than hours of internet research. I hate talking on the phone, and love searching internet forums, websites, blogs, etc, but calling the vendor has always pointed me in the right direction after my google fu fails to provide specific details critical to many projects.

Wilwood knows brakes but in my experience, they don't know brakes on diesel trucks. It blew their mind that my 28 piston braking system would not hold my truck back at the line with more than ample pressures. It took a lot of our own R&D time to figure it out.

Chase are you still running the stock master cylinder and vacuum or hydro boost setup?

Can I eliminate the brake booster on the firewall? Thanks for the info Corey

To be honest I don't understand exactly how the brake system works with a vacuum booster. I assume it helps apply pressure with less pedal input.

Yes the vacuum booster assists in applying pressure. The stock pedal ratio is about 4.25:1 and uses power assist.

When you go to manual brakes you will need to increase the pedal ratio in order to make up for the loss of the power assist. Wilwood told me 6:1, but an even higher ratio may be better.

Stock master and stock hydro boost worked the best for me.

Interesting, I feel like I'd be climbing backwards uphill without hydro/vacuum assist. 28 piston brake setup is over 3x the stopping force of factory disc brakes...

Yes, I run 6 piston wilwood's in the front and dual 4 piston moser calipers in the rear on a factory master hydro boost setup and a wilwood proportioning valve. It took some trial and error, several different pad materials, different converter stalls but finally we got it all working well. A 28 piston braking system offers a whole lot of stopping power but the little rotors we had to run in order to fit 15in wheels really took a lot of leverage away.

So I'm thinking source a later model hydro boost setup and I'll be good to go.

I will be doing this conversion to my drag truck over the winter. I talked to wilwood and they recommend an 1 1/8 bore with a optimum pedal ratio of 7.5:1 or 8:1. My set is factory calipers and rotors up front and areospace components dual caliper disks in the rear.

Yes, I run 6 piston wilwood's in the front and dual 4 piston moser calipers in the rear on a factory master hydro boost setup and a wilwood proportioning valve. It took some trial and error, several different pad materials, different converter stalls but finally we got it all working well. A 28 piston braking system offers a whole lot of stopping power but the little rotors we had to run in order to fit 15in wheels really took a lot of leverage away.

Are you running stock axles up front? I want a good setup for my front axle.

Back