Valve cover gasket issues

motasupra

So I'v replaced the 5 and 6 gaskets just about every time I go out racing and it is starting to be a real pain. When I get them tight enough to stop them from leaking it makes the valve cover cut the gasket. so

#1 are the aftermarket valve covers thicker then the stock metal ones? I think that will stop them from cutting all the time.

#2 What valve covers or gaskets do you think will stop this?
Felpro?

Thanks for looking. I need to stop this from leaking so I can put my twins on with out thinking about oil issues.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's not the washers on the studs that are cutting the gaskets. I countersunk the washers to stop that.

Correct gasket on the bolt? Its just a small o-ring under the head. They do make big thick ones which is what is used on the breather valve covers. Make sure the gaskets are clean inside the groove.

Yeah I have studs on my truck. I'v cleaned them well and put just a little rtv on the valve cover where it meets up with the gasket but after a night or two of racing they fail. I know it is not coming up through the valve because there's no oil at the exhaust manifold. I feel like it builds crank case pressure when its under a full load for an extended time.

Does your crankcase breather hose restricted in any way? On my pulling truck, I installed two of the dual valve covers with the breather on top. No gasket issues.

Yeah I have studs on my truck. I'v cleaned them well and put just a little rtv on the valve cover where it meets up with the gasket but after a night or two of racing they fail. I know it is not coming up through the valve because there's no oil at the exhaust manifold. I feel like it builds crank case pressure when its under a full load for an extended time.

If you haven't you might need to clearance the instead of the valve cover for the rocker arm studs. Studs a hair too long = oil leak.

3bond. the stuffs incredible. i use it to replace the base gaskets on high compression two stroke saws and bikes all the time without fail.

3bond. the stuffs incredible. i use it to replace the base gaskets on high compression two stroke saws and bikes all the time without fail.

Japanese stuff? Our Hitachi reps bring Threebond over, stuff is great. Way better than silicone. Doesn't squish all over since its not a big bead.

actually yes, its got jap writing on the label. hondabond, yamabond and 3bond are pretty similar, maybe from the same manufacturer.

i routinely delete gaskets entirely and replace them with 3bond on high compression race 2 strokes. just repaired a leaking heat exchanger on a 80,000lb excavator by deleting the gaskets, replacing the O rings and 3bonding it all. thats 70psi of oil pressure. the bikes and saws are pushing 150-200psi of cranking compression.

trick is to treat it like epoxy. squirt out more than you need on some cardboard, there will be clear and gray from storage separation. mix that real good with a qtip then apply. i had a lot of trouble with it before i did that.