Valve lash: Hot or Cold?

BC847

Zach, I notice the 188/220 cam's card specifies the lash being set with the engine hot.

Is this correct?

Just verifying while I've got the heap apart. ;)

We try to send out a cam card with all of them. When I set lash, I usually get engine up to operating temp and then let it sit fr 20-30 minutes. Then set lash. It usually ends up being around 140 +/- degrees.

I'll try that next time, usually I let it sit in the shop over night before hand.

So, theoreticaly thinking, if you set the lash when it is hot, you'll be tighter when it cools down and the cam and rods shrink? The opposite if you do it cold? How much does a push rod lengthen with temp? Just curious.

We try to send out a cam card with all of them. When I set lash, I usually get engine up to operating temp and then let it sit fr 20-30 minutes. Then set lash. It usually ends up being around 140 +/- degrees.

thats how we used to set highway trucks that come in for valve sets off the road. from operating temp. let it heat soak and stabilize. usually by the time you got the top stripped open it was good to go.