Very strange PCM/ECM issue

OK, those are good points... Would I get the same results doing the ingition key three times trick as with a scanner?

borrow a friends smarty. or have auto zone or another local parts store pull the codes...i think they still do it for free.

Ok, ran codes:

PCM: 122 (apps), 1693 (companion code)

ECM: 382 (IAH circuit), 606 (internal ECM processor), 123 (apps), 222 (idle validation circuit), 237 (boost low), 238 (boost high), 230 (transfer pump circuit), 113 (IAT high), 1682 (charging system low voltage), 1693 (companion code) 1694 (no ccd code from PCM, 1388( ASD relay). 0216 (injection pump).

So this is what I was used to seeing since the P pump conversion and didnt really mean anything to me other than the 606 code... That made me think it was a true ECM issue, due to hot soak.

But still not feeling right about the oil pressure reading high, and staying high (not moving at all actually) when the engine is stalled, I unplugged the Oil Pressure sensor.... violla. All problems solved, and zero issues on four separate hot restarts. Plug the oil pressure sensor back in, it does it every time. So the mode of failure of the oil pressure sensor is such that it must be dragging down the sensor system voltage, or otherwise creating a short on the ECM sensor reading circuit that is shutting down the ECM... New oil pressure sensor and Im back in business. It runs fine now with the sensor unplugged.

And the kicker of it all, with all those damm codes, 521 (oil pressure sensor) was NOT one of them...... :bang

Thanks for all the input and put this one in the back of your head for future reference, maybe it will save you some time.

Back