Vibration under lockup

amaupin04

roxanne04
I recently broke an input shaft clean off and replaced it with aramet input from TCS. Installed transmission back in, at the same time installed Industrial 48 lpm nozzles and a dual cp3 kit. I took it out for its test run and at lockup normal driving it shakes real bad under light throttle, but if i get in to it more it clears up but everytime i try an just ease in to the throttle it just shakes.
Any ideas? First auto and im unsure of what it could be. Ive heard of converter shutter??

Positive the converter wasn't damaged? Side note this is why I don't make several changes simultaneously.

If the nozzle job wasn't done right, or a nozzle was bad, it could have a dead or weak hole. That would cause a shudder at lower rpms under load as you describe.

just saw this morning that i have a puddle of trans fluid dripping out of the inspection plate.

bump TTT the i checked the fluid in the trans at warmed up temprature and in neutral and its above full on the dipstick probably 2-3 inches. It still shakes after lockup when you try to maintain speed only under heavy acceleration does it stop as soon as you try to maintain again...shaking

TQ is damaged. I had the same thing happen. turned out to be a defective TQ.

dangerous06 thanks for the reply, thats kind of what i was thinking. Its a suncoast converter and its been in the transmission since day 1 for about 4 years im guessing its time for a rebuild.

dangerous06 thanks for the reply, thats kind of what i was thinking. Its a suncoast converter and its been in the transmission since day 1 for about 4 years im guessing its time for a rebuild.

You more than likely damaged the converter when the shaft broke. I would have been surprised if no issues surfaced after a fail like that.

Yep, sounds like a damaged TC. I just wonder if the fluid is coming from the front seal, or if its too full and some is coming out the vent behind the TC.

If there isn't a lifetime warranty from SunCoast, you might look into sending it to DPC in Georgia, Phil is an excellent torque converter builder. I recently swapped out my old triple disk converter from another vendor and installed one of his triple disk converters and it's amazing how smooth and firm it locks up!

Turns out the converter was nuked. Rebuilt the trans and Phil @ DPC helpedme out and putting it in soon!! Thanks for the help guys

Good to hear. Phil is good people, he is the one I used for my last couple TC's and recommend him to everyone.

My truck is having the same issue except I haven't had any transmission breakage. The only thing I changed were injectors. I installed some BMS 100's from exergy and with the smarty tntR sw set on 9, it bucks I guess you could say, at very light throttle especially when the converter is locked and at low rpm. It seems better if I turn down the POD setting or if I leave torque management on 1, anything higher magnifies the shudder/bucking. Also when it's bucking, if I step harder on the throttle it goes away. I haven't tried stock tuning yet or a lower tune on the smarty. Any thoughts? I haven't seen any other issues like this except for this thread. The OP also changed injectors as well.

59turbo, Yes i changed injectors and i have heard that as well. Im going to turn the smarty down and see if that changes anything. I put in industrial 250hp nozzles and thats when it started but also i broke a shaft shortly after so idk what it could be. still diagnosing. Ive got more issues now, blew a head gasket and pushing coolant through the cap now....

Well, I ended up loading sw5 and even with torque management set on 4 it drives fine on the lower power tune. If driven aggressively on sw9, it's ok but light throttle it bucks. UDC would probably take care of it. Good luck with your head gasket ppump.

thanks guys, i RARELY use the TC lock up switch and never before 1500 more like 2000+ but thanks for the heads up. Im hoping the UDC clears it up but it still doesnt make sense to me why it does that but im no expert haha. ill keep you guys updated thanks again!