VW diesel Jetta

wwm

TO MANY TRUCKS
I am looking into getting a diesel jetta for driving around town alot, And i have seen people chip these cars up adding a bit of power. So i was wandering if anybody knew where i could get perfomance parts.

Also what chips are good?

What parts would add power without hurting mpg's alot?

Bully dog has whole kits I think... if not whole kits I know they sell the programmers

Kerma TDI

Rocketchip

TDI Tuning

All three are good ones to deal with. For run of the mill parts I have had good luck with worldimpex.com.

what is the kerma g ladder? what does it do?

The G-loader is a downloader similar to a Smarty. It comes with a custom tune loaded on it (Kerma has you fill out a form to describe your mods and requirements). You can also have them modify the tunes if you want a little different behavior. You just download the tunes from the G-loader to the car through the OBD port, and when they email you new tunes you just download them from your PC to the G-loader through a USB port. I have a more aggressive tune I usually use in the summer and when racing, and a milder tune for the winter or long trips when mileage is an issue. Even with the mild tune the stock clutch did not last long, so be prepared to either drive it less than full throttle (easier said than done), or step up to a better clutch.

x2 on Boraparts, and Kerma will also work up package deals. I have bought all my TDI stuff from one or the other, always satisfied. That reminds me, it's time to order more oil filters from Boraparts, it's almost time...

so with the g loader you can have a high performance tune and mild tune on the chip and just change it like our cummins tuners?

Also where can you get a clutch for them, and is it hard to change out?
what if you get a automatic trans?

also does anyone have one or know of one for sale in the texas area?

Yes, you can swap between tunes like changing a Smarty tune, but it's all pre-loaded so you just pick your desired tune from the menu and download it to the car. Not sure how many tunes the loader holds, but I have 3 on mine.

I got my clutch from Boraparts. It's a Der Chimera Stage II. A little stiffer on the pedal effort compared to stock, but you get used to it. My 110 lb girlfriend drives it without a problem.

If you plan on any higher HP, I would stay away from the automatics. Even stock they seemed to have trouble going past 100k miles. A clutch is pretty easy to change, you need a way to support the engine from the top while having a floor jack beneath it to drop the trans down. Some people do it with an engine hoist up top, others with a 4x4 and ratchet straps across the shock towers (or a purpose-built shock tower support like you can get from Harbor Freight). You will need a few specialized tools (triple-square drive bits). IIRC it took me about 8 hours total between 2 evenings, taking my time and frequently coming in the house to warm up (it was in the middle of winter). I posted on tdiclub.com forum (username MichaelP) with some tips after I did mine, just search for posts under my name.

The hardest part on the clutch to me was just getting the tranny in and out, it's a tight fit. Stay away from the auto models up to about 07 (I think!), they suck balls unless you want to dump some serious coin in them. My car was an auto when I bought it, it's now a row your own :)

The autos from 01-04 suck. These guys might have fixed the issues but no one has gone past 100k on one yet with power. But the price is only $300 more than a remanned unit from VW.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/

The 05 and up DSG's hold ok and last longer but no aftermarket support.

The autos from 01-04 suck. These guys might have fixed the issues but no one has gone past 100k on one yet with power. But the price is only $300 more than a remanned unit from VW.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/

The 05 and up DSG's hold ok and last longer but no aftermarket support.
IPT's redone 01M's (the 4 speed auto's in 99.5-03 tdi's) still suck. Don't waste your money. For less than the cost of a rebuilt auto you can do a complete 6 speed manual swap. Fun factor increase x10.

The 5 speed tiptronic autos' in 04-06's hold just fine as do the DSG's with regular oil and filter changes.

For tuning my personal preferences are TD Tuning, Rocketchip, and Malone Tuning. TD and Malone both have loaders like smartys. Stay away from bully dog, revo, giac, and f1 tuning.

For parts, I like ID Parts, Bora Parts, 1st VW Parts, World Impex, or Kerma TDI. AVOID any of the Pete Rothenberger parts sites like this . They're all chinese junk parts.

okay well it looks like i will be looking for a manaul trans then. I am not wanting to buy a new car so is there anything that goes wrong with these car after a certain mileage?

And another question is there enough room for 4people in the jettas, can two grown ups fit okay, for like a 3 hour drive?

2 yes, as long as there is no car seat. My brother has to push the passenger seat all the way forward to get his rear facing car seat in. I rode in the back a time or 2 and its ok, not good for 3+ hours though...

I cant find this Der Chimera Stage II clutch. Also what is needed in for the clutch, there are kit for like 200-500, what would i need? i dont know what year i am getting i first need to sell a 99 pontiac firebird. anyone interested. its a v6