VW diesel Jetta

IS there anything wrong with 2006 diesel jettas. like motor or electrical?

Does anyone have an 06 or know about problem with them
im looking at a 2006 jetta tdi with manual trans and 70K on it.

I would get any year from 99.5 and up. They all run great and you will never be dissapointed.

Does anyone have an 06 or know about problem with them
im looking at a 2006 jetta tdi with manual trans and 70K on it.

My gf's is an '06 BRM. It has 92xxx miles and is on it's third flywheel...it's a DSG though. Since the one you're looking at is a manual, when you order a clutch you should be getting a SMF to replace your stock DMF, so you delete that problem all together. Just listen for a nasty rattle coming from the trans at idle.

Another thing is the camshaft, some of the BRM motors like to eat camshafts and no one really knows why for sure. Just run T6 in it and change it every 5-8k. It's easy to pop the valve cover off every oil change and do a visual on the lobes.

The only other thing I can think of is the problem where ice accumulates behind the fenders in the area of the door hinges, so if you park it outside over night after snow and it's below freezing you need to be easy on the doors when you open them, otherwise you can bend the doors sheet metal at the bottom front corner...this happened to her car also.

Parents have an 06.. Only issues have been the 16in tires.. it loves to cup the inside of the tires.. Had problems with the automatic temp air.. sometimes it would just go full hot, the only way to get it to go back was too, turn the air off, and back on.. The dealer never was able to fix this..
If its an auto.. change the oil and filter....
They have not had anyother issues with 90K on it..

Last edited:
oh okay guys well thank you i apprieciate the help, yeah i have heard about the cam shaft problem, but they say thats because of the lack of changing the oil

When do the struts and shocks go out on these?

oh okay guys well thank you i apprieciate the help, yeah i have heard about the cam shaft problem, but they say thats because of the lack of changing the oil

Also from the lack of the right oil too.

I have 170,000 on mine and have never had to touch the struts or shocks.

I am in the process of buying an 2006 jetta tdi with a manual trans. I had a couple of questions about performance

What tuner or chip should i get that i can turn it to a stage that will get me go mileage and then turn it up when i want to play around with it?

Also with an 06 clutch how long will they last with a tuner or chip?
And on these website that yall listed looking at the clutches what would i need, there are kit but i dont know what comes with it.

I got 05 TDI Beetle, slghtly modded w/DSG tranny 145k no problems, kept fully maintenced

So you have stock trans?
What chip do you have?

Also from the lack of the right oil too.

oldestof11 hit it on the head.

The Cam problems are not coming from not changing the oil but not using the correct oil.

There are cases of the cam failing even when the correct oil is used.

If you haven't already written the check I would take it to a trusted TDI tech and have the cam inspected.

What tuner or chip should i get that i can turn it to a stage that will get me go mileage and then turn it up when i want to play around with it?

We have a Q-Loader from Kerma for my gf's 06....couldn't be happier with it. Kerma (like most other tuners) will tune it however you want. They are also just a phone call away at any hour it seems.

I don't think there is a switch out for the PD TDI cars, but with the Q Loader we can flash it back to stock for long trips if we don't want to blow smoke every time we have to pass someone on the highway.

Does anybody have a video of about how much smoke these thing make with a tuner?

Does anybody have a video of about how much smoke these thing make with a tuner?

Not to many "TDI" owners are into smoke.. :)

I wish I had a video camera following me sometimes though, running cng causes SMOKE :)
Just sent my injectors to drivebywire in Idaho to have then properly calibrated. Charlie at Kerma has tuned my car with several tunes and well I think I'm just hard to please but thus far stock was better with a couple tweeks, it smokes.
I added a vnt17 turbo, some tips from the 150 hp euro tdi and a 3 bar map sensor.

The 3 bar map sensor and injectors made the bigest difference so far.

I'm rambling..

Get a tune from Charlie at Kerma and go from there..