Wait to start

In honest opinions would it be the wisest to tend to it now or just adapt to starting habits and wait for it to completely crap out?

Use a live data tool to check it. IAT and ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) should be the same at key on period.

But remember IAT has nothing to do with the DELAY of the Wait To Start light coming on.

Intake air temp (iat) sensor

I would also check the iat. Same happened to a buddies 99 and it ended up
being bad. Replaced it and it worked everytime. But.... His wouldn't come on period. So if you say it only comes on after bumping the starter it very well could be an ecm issue. You can try unplugging it and turning the key. In a 12valve the wts light will stay on until you plug it in but we are also talking about a tractor engine.. :hehe:

Use a live data tool to check it. IAT and ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) should be the same at key on period.

But remember IAT has nothing to do with the DELAY of the Wait To Start light coming on.

I didnt think about this till I went back and read it. Ha. :bang

Pretty good info in here. The solution to my VP truck issues was to sell. Then it sold again. Then the ECM took a chit. LOL

Thanks for the info for mental note.

Boom. Now I know what's wrong with mine. I've had a delayed WTS light for YEARS.

Do all of the Advance Autoparts/Autozone alternators suck? My neighbor replaced his about a 2 months ago on his 7.3 with a Advance Autoparts unit and it ended up leaving him stuck on a bridge.

It looks like I need a new Alternator and ECM...

Give you an idea. With my MPG fooler set ON my IAT sensor is locked to 143*F the WTS light comes on still instantly and cycles like normal. So IAT temps will not affect the WTS because its a pre-programmed bulb check by the ECM software so if the software isn't booting up how is the ECM to check the WTS bulb? If there was any problem with the WTS light there would be a P0381 code.

Last edited: