Wanting to buy a TDI

dieselracer07

I'm looking to buy a TDI, and I'd like to get some feedback on them. I'm leaning towards a 2005-2009 Jetta, preferably with a manual transmission. What kind of things should I look for when buying one? What kind of mileage range should I be looking at? I want to find one 120,000 miles or less, but I don't really know how many miles they go. I drive 160 miles a day for work, and I don't want to put that many miles on my truck and the fuel bill is getting outrageous. A VW TDI seems like a logical choice for that task.
Any insight is much appreciated.
:Cheer:

I gave my brother a 06 automatic with 280k on it. It needed cams when i got it. I did those along with lifters, glowplugs, cam and pump seals, cam bearings, oil and fuel filters. He flew to green bay, wi and drove to leadville colorado on less than $80 when fuel was about $4 a gallon. It now has 336k on it and he loves the thing. Stock trans except for 2011 flywheel i put in it.

I gave my brother a 06 automatic with 280k on it. It needed cams when i got it. I did those along with lifters, glowplugs, cam and pump seals, cam bearings, oil and fuel filters. He flew to green bay, wi and drove to leadville colorado on less than $80 when fuel was about $4 a gallon. It now has 336k on it and he loves the thing. Stock trans except for 2011 flywheel i put in it.

I've heard a little about cam issues in these cars. How often do they seem to need replacing, and what does the job usually cost?

I have an 06 that I put a cam in last fall, the bill to have a local German car specialty shop do the install was 1700 bucks, once they've been replaced they're good for life. I could be talked into selling it if you're interested.....

I have an 06 that I put a cam in last fall, the bill to have a local German car specialty shop do the install was 1700 bucks, once they've been replaced they're good for life. I could be talked into selling it if you're interested.....
PM me some pics and info on it if you don't mind.

I did a cam in the 06 I owned at 182k, it cost $1700 for the cam and timing belt to be done at the same time. Typically on the 06 cars they make it between 100k and 200k. I sold the car to my cousin last month with 214k on it, he drives 210 miles a day to work and back so I am sure that it is getting up there in mileage quickly and I have not heard anything from him about any issues.

I have a 2004 passat tdi for sale... extremely clean I just did camshaft and well as timing componets 1 month ago. Go to Maine craigslist and type in 04 passat tdi .. it's blue

Back