wanting to hook for first time ever.....LOTS of questions

CumminsCrazed

ok so, in a couple weeks we have a truck pull here and id really really like to try pulling my truck once, BUT i do NOT want to break it at the same time. heres my list of parts. Its a 2001 H.O. motor with NV5600 6 spd trans

First of all, trans is new since Feb, only has about 2000-2500 miles on it.

Anyway, heres parts list of aftermarket/upgraded parts (most dont effect engine but i added anyway)

Full pillar gauges
Edge Drag Comp box
South Bend Dual Disc 3600 clutch (street version)
Fass fuel system
5" Exhaust
amsoil air filter
35" nitto mud grapplers (brand new - 1500 miles on em)
extended control arms

some other stuff that doesnt really apply but thats the basics

Anyway, main 3 items that people really care about in this situation is amount of added power, transmission and clutch.

obviously the added power part isnt huge, 120-140 over stock. trans is brand new, has updated shafts synchros and bearings in it. Clutch was ut in with trans, street version SBDD 3600. And lastly is the tires. obviously their VERY aggressive and brand new as of about may 1st. Ive been TOLD to take those off and go back to my 1/32nd to about 4/32 (range between all 4 tires) tread depth Cooper STTs as so i dont get too much traction and break something.

IM also wondering how to go about launching with my set up, as well as which 4wd range and transmision gear to use. i know i need some ground speed but i also know i cant slip the clutch too much to get out of the hole.

so if anyone can help me put this puzzle together before next weekend, and tell me if i should go ahead and try hooking or just wait it out until im better prepared (mod/power wise) thatd be great. the main thing im concerned about and do NOT want to do is grenade my brand new clutch/trans or break something else major, be it an axle or motor.

Anyway, let me know what you guys all think!

#1 If you're scared of breaking shlt then sled pulling is not your game!
#2 See #1

I'm not the best to ask, but I think I can help here because I've pulled a bit around that power level, and never broke down. Leave on the good tires. I pull in third 4lo with a five speed, I think 4th in a six would be better, as its a bit faster. I rev it up to around 2k, slip the clutch to get it to move and then put it to the floor.
Hope this helps.

ok so if i leave around 2000 rpm i wont over slip the clutch and cause issues? remember its only the 3600 STREET clutch, also, i wont have any issue with getting TOO MUCH traction with the new tires?

I havent had the pleasure of pulling with brand new tires, and I only have a zoom single disk clutch. 411 horse by the way.

ok so if i leave around 2000 rpm i wont over slip the clutch and cause issues? remember its only the 3600 STREET clutch, also, i wont have any issue with getting TOO MUCH traction with the new tires?

Unless that clutch was properly broken in you'll toast it on the spot. If it's organic clutch material don't even think about slipping it!

im pretty sure its ceramic, and i broke it in with first 200 miles on LOW power (no edge) in stop n go traffic and when i got my edge back in i added power the last 300 miles just like they say to do.

Put that b!tch to the floor slip the clutch for a second to build a little boost and let er fly... Only way I've ever done it and I have a decent amount of hooks under my belt

Stock turbo.. You don't need to slip the clutch to build boost. 4th gear low range, 2000rpm or so, count to 3 as you let the clutch out, put it to the floor and go.

Unless that clutch was properly broken in you'll toast it on the spot. If it's organic clutch material don't even think about slipping it!

No experience with organic material, but why can't you slip it to get off the line? Are they that much easier to smoke than a ceramic?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Glazes the fly wheels and won't let the disks grab as tightly as they should causing them to slip.

I'm all for sled pulling but you asked who, how and what... If you have 3.54 gears you'll want 33" rubber.

When and where is this pull? I can probably get a couple guys to come over to pull. What size are your new tires and the worn ones

pull is in rockwell iowa, its an NTPA grand national event, 2 days, 2 tracks i believe, one of the night is a pull what u drove night.

new tires are 35x12.50R17 nitto mud grapps

old tires are wor down 285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STTs

I pull with a 3600 clutch as well i start letting out at 4300. (Truck in sig) i also pull 3rd low 4th low or 2nd hi depending on the track but most times 4lo or 3rd lo

put the stt's on way less stress on driveline one of my friends does well runs 4lo 4th gear with 285 bfg at's almost same set up as yours

Back