Weight of Haul?

The accumulator stacks them in groups of 10. There's 5 stacks long x 5 stacks tall on the bottom, 5 stacks (but missing 4 bales) on the next layer and 4 stacks on the top layer. 336 bales?

brandon.

lol well u guy might think im ****ting you but i have hauled a few way over the limits on my truck last month adot got my pocket book for 4 digits we wont go there but have hauled 14x60 mobile home weight is 28k on the house an i was smilling all the way but bent my bumper just a tad

joefarmer said:
The accumulator stacks them in groups of 10. There's 5 stacks long x 5 stacks tall on the bottom, 5 stacks (but missing 4 bales) on the next layer and 4 stacks on the top layer. 336 bales?

brandon.

What is the length on the GN, 40'???

Yep. 32' deck + 4' ramps + 3' steel extension. I gotta see if I can find the scale ticket.

brandon.

I was wondering, looking at hauling some hay next year and wondering how many bale I can get on a 35'.

That depends if you hand stack it or not. You can easily stack more on his trailer, but then you couldn't load it with a front end loader and be lazy. Also keep in mind this is Kansas- very flat and the hills don't get in the way.

brnadon.

joefarmer said:
That depends if you hand stack it or not. You can easily stack more on his trailer, but then you couldn't load it with a front end loader and be lazy. Also keep in mind this is Kansas- very flat and the hills don't get in the way.

brnadon.

Got a bobcat setup with a grab on it, I know the feeling LOL I'm not to worried about hills, that's what power enhancement is all about, my worries are with bridges and overpasses :doh: We loaded 190 on a 35' GN today for a fella, I feel 250 wouldn't be a big problem to get on there.

Now a question for those that cross state lines alot, what kind of ticket (if any) will I be looking at crossing the scales with my truck pulling a dual tandem GN grossing about 30K???

Billy , keep in mind that you are going to need Dot # ,doors lettered,CDL and a Dot health card as of this past summer.Any trailer over 10,001 lbs will require this nation wide. For a farm plate you will need an F endorsement on your license.There are alot of restrictions on this. Dot cop will consider you commercial carrier if you are out of a 100mile range from where the truck is registered. You better make sure the truck is registered to the farm or you will have bought the farm....LOL

There are three weights:
Your scale weight (GCVW): what your truck, gear, fuel and empty trailer weigh.
Your rated weight (GCVWR): what your data plates list as your ratings, what your axles are rated for, what your tires are rated for, what your wheels are rated for....and DOT loves to look at all of this
Your "tagged" weight: what you have declared your ratings to be for tagging

Your truck states its maximum allowable 'GVW". So does your trailer. Add these TOGETHER, and that is the MAXIMUM COMBINED allowed weight for your truck, passenegers, personal gear, fuel, trailer and cargo. Period. DOT will look at this.

If, as advised, you take your truck and trailer, put your regular personal gear in, fill up all of your fuel tanks, sit in the truck on a scale, you will see what your EMPTY (curb) weight is. Take your MAXIMUM, deduct your CURB = maximum cargo weight -what you can "haul". For example, a pickup has a maximum decal GVW of 12,200, trailer 20,000 = 32,200. Empty, together they weigh 14,200 - so I could, in theory, haul a cargo load of 32,200-14,200=18,000.

But wait - you have only just begun ! Your pickup also shows maxium axle ratings. Whe you connect a gooseneck, an "average" (depending upon where you place your cargo on the trailer) of 25% TRANSFERS to the truck (both rear AND front axles). If you weigh your truck (alone - no trailer), w/normal gear, you and full fuel - you will know how the truck weight is distributed. By adding the trailer, you then know how the TRAILER weight is distributed.

For DOT you need:
1) To not be over your data plate combined weights
2) Not be over your tire rating weights
3) Not be over your axle rating weights
4) Not weigh more than you are tagged for

Make sure your trailer is up to date too. Ie all inspections required by your state.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/whomustcomply/index.asp

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/Cars/rules/standards/conspicuity/Trlrpstr.html

http://xj.cdevco.net/auto/trucking/forhire.html

www.hotshothauling.com will help too , lots of new laws due to DOT falling under Homeland Security now.

Hay hauling rules are tuff.
http://magic-city-news.com/article_6517.shtml

FMCSA Safety Audit Checklist

Please note that this list may NOT be complete.Its my interpretation .LOL

General Information Folder
List of equipment (trucks, tractors, trailers, plate numbers, etc.)
List of current driver's names and number for the last 350 days
List of corporate officers
Insurance Folder
Insurance liability coverage
MCS-90 form
BOC-3 form
Cargo insurance coverage
Accident Folder
Accident Register
All Accident Reports
Driver Qualification for Each Driver
Drivers application form
Inquiry to all previous employers
Inquiry to state agencies
Annual review of driving record
Annual driver's certificate of violations
Driver's road test or certificate of equivelent (i.e. copy of CDL)
Medical Examination
Previous drug & Alcohol test results
Drug and alcohol program for each driver
Pre-employment
Drivers list of consortium
Random
Post Accident
Logs for each driver
Logbooks or Time cards if 100 mile radius
Supporting documents (Fuel, meal tickets, tolls, etc.)
Disciplinary policy for non-compliance
Maintenance files for each Vehicle
Make & Model, VIN, tire size, and year
Planned Maintenance Program
Annual Inspecitons
Maintenance File Records (receipts, etc.)
Brake Inspector Qualification
Inspection Reports
Hazmat (if applicable)
Certificate of registration
Shipping papers
Record Keeping
General Information
General Awareness
Safety Training

Man I think I need a nap after all that.LOL If anyone can see something I missed , please do add it or correct me ! LOL

Last edited:
Billy , have I got you runnin' scarredddddddddddd ? :rules: LOL

Believe it or not, I'm actually fairly up to speed on DOT for larger vehicles ( 26K straight truck) since one of my duties at the old job was keeping the truck up and legal.

Now the new rules and regs coming out I will have to look into when the time comes, a for instance is the requirement to show origin of the hay down to field #, date of cut and who cut it :bang

I know about the GCVWR, all to well, what I'm curious about is how do you get away with exceeding the tow ratings on these trucks. A for instance, Rich talked about crossing the scales at 28k+, IIRC the max tow rating on his truck is about 17K. His dually doesn't have 11K of azz all to itself, so how do you get away with exceeding the max tow rating???

BTW, thanks for all the info Tom, there were a few things in there I didn't know about. What will most likely happen is the truck will be "sold" to the farm, running as a farm truck used to make a whole lot of DOT rules go out the window, still does here in the south to an extent.

How do ya "tag" a Daully for 33k?
.......My last scale ticket was 35,752 lbs.:eek:

MD apportioned tags for 33k

I never weighed my heaviest load, but I had to grab low range to take off from a stoplight uphill with it. Stock tranny and 3.55s i'm guessing 28-30k GCW

33k F-550's....Factory ordered....:poke:

Attachments

• pp.bmp
    234.4 KB · Views: 87
06's run great.........:poke: LOL Just got to know how to treat them.....:kick:

i know it isn't right, but i tow fairly heavy, 26+5 tandem dually, with 12-18k on it all the time accross state line, on farm tags, never had a issue, i just drive past the scale, got pulled over 1 time, told them i was hauling the hay for my own horses and they just checked my breaks and sent me on my way
robert

I wonder what would have happened if that load was equipment...and it wasn't yours?

Better have the bondsman on speed dial LOL

Back