Weld on broken exhaust ear

USARMY12V

Rally round the Virginian
Has anyone had much luck welding ears back onto heads with any amount of durability and longevity? I had the unfortunate scenario of two snapping off when putting in new bolts.

As I understand high nickel rod can be used? I'm just concerned if its more or less a patching the dam type fix or a real option worth a moment of my time.

Has anyone had much luck welding ears back onto heads with any amount of durability and longevity? I had the unfortunate scenario of two snapping off when putting in new bolts.

As I understand high nickel rod can be used? I'm just concerned if its more or less a patching the dam type fix or a real option worth a moment of my time.

I've done it twice with good results. Get the engine nice and hot first.

Sent from my paperweight

Only issue is one is cylinder number five on top, other is three on top. I'm not sure if I can get behind five enough to see while welding to do a good job especially if the engines hot. What stick did you use?

Only issue is one is cylinder number five on top, other is three on top. I'm not sure if I can get behind five enough to see while welding to do a good job especially if the engines hot. What stick did you use?

Mig with a bottle of tri mix that I had laying around just to try it. The other one was arc with a nickel rod. Can't remember which one off hand.

Sent from my paperweight

Just thinking here, but a stud with the ear welding it all together may be the best option. I'm sure there's plenty of people with input on this. Darn ears don't take much.

An oxy spray welder would be your best option. Otherwise, use a nickel rod with tig or stick and pre/post heat. Make sure everything is clean before you go to town on it.

Back