Who has welded a cam Gear to the cam?

Is it old school? do they still do it??

Pros? Cons??

Discuss

Who has welded a cam Gear to the cam?

Is it old school? do they still do it??

Pros? Cons??

Discuss

U better TIG your crank gear on too! I pulled my motor and if u looked at the crank gear it was half way sheered through the key way :eek:.
Brandon

mine is welded only reason is because were my timing is set i couldn't get a key to work

They did it back in the day and I have done it too with a tig. I will tell you I have never had a cam issue with the gear walking off but I heard all the....it's going to fly apart crap too.

Jim

I drilled/ tapped my stock cam and installed a bolt and a fender washer..... not sure if youd call that old school, red neck, or what.... I call it broke and making do.

Puredieselpower.com sells a $40 Cam gear retainer that Haisley makes and it will work for either 12/24V. I plan on using it for my Ppump conversion.

My vote would be a drilled cam with bolt. Ive seen engines trashed due to welding the cam gear on. Bad things happend to heat treated metals when you heat them up again without taking the proper steps to aneal them and re treat them.

what is it with these gears walkin around - I mean i hot presed mine on and it was a bear of a job

what stresses them so much - its just a 6 cylinder motor - its not like there is high valve spring pressure n such

I just did mine with a 5/16 grade 8 bolt, the trick is to find a thin washer and I still had to shave off around .100" of the bolt head to clear the front cover. Beware the cam is pretty hard material so the drill/taping is damn slow!
Ryan

what is it with these gears walkin around - I mean i hot presed mine on and it was a bear of a job

what stresses them so much - its just a 6 cylinder motor - its not like there is high valve spring pressure n such

The P7100 injection pump is driven off of the cam gear. It can become an issue on high HP and high RPM trucks. Especially on the 13mm race pumps which require even more power to drive.

The way the gears are cut, over time, high hp loads to drive the P7100 eventually force the cam gear off the cam shaft.

TIG welded here no issues. Chamferd the gear and cam. The cam snot on the cam is oversive so the gear needed to be heated to go on the cam. Then we welded it. Grounded it smooth and installed the bolt. Billet EEP cam.

The gears are helical gears so at high RPM it will most likely try to push it away

I would think that a few boogers of weld would throw off the balance of the cam and create weird vibrations. But what do I know.
After its welded have it balanced :poke:
TIG welded here no issues. Chamferd the gear and cam. The cam snot on the cam is oversive so the gear needed to be heated to go on the cam. Then we welded it. Grounded it smooth and installed the bolt. Billet EEP cam.

DITTO

Please tell me no one really thinks welding a gear on will throw the balance off enough to matter! That thing with the gear weights what, 15 lbs! It's like re-balancing that 100 lb crank to turn 4K.

Jim

Back