Welding a cylinder head

Cast is a broad term.

Sort of.

Cast describes a manufacturing process that is a nightmare to "weld."

I'm not the CWI, but in conversations with him, you're not really welding cast anything. You're melting it and hoping it fuses back together. But it ain't hard to burn away what you're trying to fuse either.

Sort of.

I'm not the CWI, but in conversations with him, you're not really welding cast anything. You're melting it and hoping it fuses back together. But it ain't hard to burn away what you're trying to fuse either.

I understand the casting process very well. Different materials respond to being welded very differently from each other. I make reliable welds on a variety of cast materials on a regular basis, no hope required.

Yuck I wouldn't want to use rod that had flux on it for tig. You can buy proper rod for this like ERNiCrMo-2 and others, I've also used some crown alloys rod, can't remember what it was called that has worked well.

do it all the time work good for me

Did you expect to get a good head when you bought it? I know if I bought a head and it had cracks in it, the last thing I'd be researching is how to fix it. I would be researching who sold it to me and how to return the POS. $.02

Yes, it was supposidly a fresh cylinder head, and from what I can tell it was (besides the a$$load of cracks)

Have you pressure checked the head to see if the cracks are in the water jackets? If it holds pressure who cares about the cracked seats, and run it. Mine has atleast that many cracks on the seats and injector bores and I have pulled mine like that for 3+ years.

Yeah, I did have it checked. It does leak.. more money down the drain :nail:

well, now's not the time to throw good money after bad... just buy a new chinese head and slap it on to get you up and running

Sure. The Chinese heads come from China. The Brazilian heads come from Brazil.

:hehe:

Really, there are Chinese heads that are copies of Cummins castings. Or you can get OEM heads from Brazil/USA/Mexico.

So why not tell the seller to take back his POS and return your money? You are a heck of a nice guy if you ask me, I'll give you props for that. I'd drive several states and show up on his porch if it were me, but I'm a asshat, what do I know. LOL

So why not tell the seller to take back his POS and return your money? You are a heck of a nice guy if you ask me, I'll give you props for that. I'd drive several states and show up on his porch if it were me, but I'm a asshat, what do I know. LOL

I wish I could. He does not return my phone calls or emails and still seems to be posting on here. I guess you live and learn. Trust me I am freaking pissed off about the whole situation and put it behind me. I would drive several states too, but not across the entire country. I have delt with tons of Comp D members on here and have nothing but great experience. If this was the other way around, I would definatly man up and fix the situation, but for him obviously ignoring me is his resolution. Ok off rant now :doh:

What is the deal with theses chinese castings , do they hold up?

I wish I could. He does not return my phone calls or emails and still seems to be posting on here. I guess you live and learn. Trust me I am freaking pissed off about the whole situation and put it behind me. I would drive several states too, but not across the entire country. I have delt with tons of Comp D members on here and have nothing but great experience. If this was the other way around, I would definatly man up and fix the situation, but for him obviously ignoring me is his resolution. Ok off rant now :doh:

What is the deal with theses chinese castings , do they hold up?

Hey Jambii how are ya, I have been blessed by friends that have this same diesel sickness as my self:lolly: so I feel I need to give back. I have a 24v head that is a spare that is sitting in my garage, it came off a running truck that ran fine and never had any issues. If you want it its yours, ya just gotta pay shipping from 06066. Let me know and we can get the ball rolling.:Cheer:

Hey Jambii how are ya, I have been blessed by friends that have this same diesel sickness as my self:lolly: so I feel I need to give back. I have a 24v head that is a spare that is sitting in my garage, it came off a running truck that ran fine and never had any issues. If you want it its yours, ya just gotta pay shipping from 06066. Let me know and we can get the ball rolling.:Cheer:

Todd is a good man. I would take him up on the offer.

Kyle

:rockwoot: very, very respectable of you Todd.

I wouldn't mess with trying to weld/fix your junk head, just get another one. Less headache in the long run

Sort of.

That is the best advice, get another head ditch the problems. You can weld cast it does depend on many factors and what processes you can do. Example thermite welding.

The folks that are telling him throw it away, may not realize the money that is in fully ported head. You can easily get $5000+ into a head.
So buy the $500 head, and then pay $2500+ for machining, or look at getting the head fixed. For a street truck I would say your gonna need a new head, for a competition truck you can do some things to get by.