welding front carrier

smokincummins89

Hey guys I was wondering if it is worth welding the front carrier? Is it a pain to turn and get around in the pits?

Mines welded and I don't have problems with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys I was wondering if it is worth welding the front carrier? Is it a pain to turn and get around in the pits?

Watched a guy with one for 3/4 of the season make 5 pt turns, laughed at him hooking up to the sled and finally broke the arm on the steering box.

Yea its a pain to turn. But if can unlock hubs or have the stock locking collar on the dodge its not bad then

if you can unlock the hubs (yes both) its worth saving the $ if not, itll end up costing you more. with weight hanging it is very difficult to turn if at all. and without upgraded steering components something will give.

I have mine welded and with my ford d60 in front I unlock one side till I hook to sled then have a buddy come and lock it in before I make the chain tight... with hanging weights it does sux to steer unless u have hydrologic steering

It won't turn period in a dodge. Even with the cad or posi lock. It gets in such a bind that it won't disengage. I use to make 8 point turns trying to get hooked to the sled. Buy a good locker and turn it with one hand.

I have a welded front for 2 years. Would turn fine with no weight on the front and collar unlocked. With collar locked it was a pita unless moving. And with weight on the front it was a pita either way. This was on all stock parts.
Just upgraded to 35 spline front so got a locker.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

If you weld it on a dodge you will break the inner axle pulling out of the garage. The only way to make it work welded is to use the CAD manually. So in the pits you would be 3x4 and when you reverse to hook to sled lock in CAD for 4x4.

If you weld it on a dodge you will break the inner axle pulling out of the garage. The only way to make it work welded is to use the CAD manually. So in the pits you would be 3x4 and when you reverse to hook to sled lock in CAD for 4x4.

Dedicated 2.5 puller... That doesn't work. I have mine welded. Have blown up 3 locking collars and blew a collar plum through the CAD manual cover. Granted I have 1500 pounds hanging on my front end but you can't get it slid over good with the manual cover. I have tried and tried to adjust it. Won't work. I have to take a flood jack to get weight off it to lock it over. After blowing it up for a 3rd time I just leave it locked in and look like an idiot getting on the track. I'll be buying a locker and 35 spline axles next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I ended up going with. Figured might as well only do it once and be done and not have to worry about it down the road.

Always have run a welded one in my IFS, steers fine and once i get straight on the track i lock the slider in via posi-lock cable, i also pop my t-case into 2wd in the pits though.