well i think my head gaskets finally went!

strokedviking

just like it says! just came back from lunch and got on her a little, and when i stopped i saw abunch of wetness around the left front fender around my shock and spring and all that stuff. i popped the hood and there was coolent all over the battery and below, and my degass bottle was pretty empty! my egt's didnt get over 1200 and my water temp didnt go over 200. so i'm guessing it has finaly happend!:bang
so what do you guys think? if it is the gaskets, i'm sure i will have fun with ford seeing if they will install the ARP studs i have sitting on my shelf under warrenty!

they should do it, most of them will, just go talk to the tech about it :)

I would almost guarantee they will. If you provide the parts, why not, it will keep them from having to replace them under warranty again. I would ask then if they say no, explain that the gaskets are a known problem, and will most likely happen again. Remember, you catch more flies with sugar then vinegar.

i dont think it was just a puke. i had a puke once, before i had my SCT, i had an edge EZ and it was on the lowest setting with the EGR still plugged in. then i just think that the coolent boiled over, and my degas battle didnt have the sticker on it then.
but this time it was majore coolent loss, and the coolent wasnt even warm. at first i thought i had a brake line blow, or something hydralic! but i have an SCT on ID's extreme street, and temps didnt overly hot at all, so i dont see how it could be just a puke. but i'm no expert!
if it is the gaskets and i take it to ford, i'm just worried they will claim that i have a proggramer because of my guages and 5" cat-back, and dennie worrenty work.
also, if gaskets are blown will there be any loss in performance?
thanks for you help guys!

Just be sure to remove the SCT before you get anywhere near the dealer with your truck. Don't even leave it in the glove box!
I had headgaskets and a turbo replaced under warranty no questions asked. I removed the tune, and Airaid, reinstalled the cat and removed the 5" tip but left the rest of the MBRP exhaust in place. Just try to make the truck look as stock as possible. The less they see, the less they will question.
If the tech knows anything about the 6.0 he will be very familiar with the puking issues and you should not have a problem.

my dealer didnt have a problem with the airraid drop in filter, gauges, the 5" tip or stock straight exhaust. When we were getting done, he said " i dont know if your running a tuner or anything but...." i didnt blink or anything just kept looking at him. LOL They did a really good job too. :) we will hopefully use them again, since we didnt get ARP's this time. we took it in, then they started in on it that day, and the next day we went in they already had one side back on. There was no time for ARPs but we will get them the next time around. LOL

is the AIRAID a bad thing for them to see?
or does it just depend on the tech?

It depends on the tech, but the way I see it is that it's a 15 min swap and they will never question the stock intake.

i dont know, how do i check? do i have to send a oil sample somewhere? i just reverted my truck back to stock cause it puked again. and when i did i noticed that my autometer boost gauge was flickering back and forth very rapidly at full boost. it never did that before with the SCT in it or when it was stock before. wtf do think that could be?
i dont really know what to do here, should i take it to ford ASAP? please someone guide me in the right direction. do i need to get my oil checked first and can ford do that there? or should i just take it in saying that i think my head gaskets are done? obviously with everything off the truck!
any help would be great!
thanks!

Simply check your oil!!!

If the dipstick has a milky tanish color on it, you have water/coolant in the oil which is not good!!!

I agree with Phil, you just had a good puke.

If you head gaskets were gone, you would have the milky tan residue on your dipstick because with no head gaskets, the water will go into the oil system.

Plus , correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think it would run real bad?

I noticed no changes in the way the truck ran. The only way I knew I had a problem was when my boost gauge suddenly started hitting 40+ psi, and I lost some coolant out the cap, twice.
Had both headgaskets,turbo, egr/cooler done later that week

When yall are saying the truck is puking, where exactly is the coolant coming from and what is it doing? What causes it?

Coolant is coming out of the overflo bottle.

When the hot gases go into the EGR, it "flash boils" the coolant.

I am not 100% sure on that explanation, but it is close. I am sure someone else can give you a very detailed explanation!!

well it puked that first time, and i have been driving conservative since, and then i got on her alittle bit and she puked again pretty bad. so now she is stock again. it never puked before, and i bet that if i go put the sct back in and get on her good it would puke! so to me that says blown head gaskets, but i'm no expart! and i have noticed loss in poower since this pukeing thing started, dont know if blown head gaskets would cause significant power loss, but i can tell something aint right!

Back