Well truck is in the tranny shop... I need suggestions on a 550hp recipe.

Diesel Inside

Well the truck started bucking around 60-70 in lock up like the cluthes are trying to slip or its jumping around in lock up. I would like to upgrade the tranny one time when it comes out.

I eventually want to get a 64mm turbo with matching injectors on my SO pump with the adrenaline tuning. I want a tranny that will hold the power and not be a problem.

My tranny guy said he could get the red cluches and kolene steels. It already has a shift kit, will this be enough to hold the line pressure enough for the added power.

Also I am thinking billet input and maybe a triple disk converter. It has a single in it now but do not know the hp rating.

Are there any other small parts that would need to be upgraded for 550 hp?

Your bucking/jumping problem is most likely in the TC. Stray a/c voltage off the alternator plays havoc with the APPS and PCM causing a rapid lock-unlock-lock-unlock.

Last edited:
Ok I knew of this problem lower in speeds like around 45 right when it is on the verge of locking in or not. It acts fine around then and once it locks in it is locked in hard and wont jump back out.

Could this still be the case on up in the rpms like around 1700-2k under load like going up a hill.

A short drive while hooked to a scan tool is all that's needed to confirm.

Well that is exactly what he said he was going to do. I sure hope it isnt the od cluthes trying to escape on me.

do a billet input and converter if you build the trans.

Well the truck is already at his shop so it's too late to see if the lock up switch would fix it. And with 200s and a 64 turbo I would hope for 550 at the wheels.

Ok so the tranny is out. Going back in it are the following: triple disk w/ billet input, billet solonoids, red cluthes and kolene steels (I am gonna see if he can increase the count other than with the first gear drum), he said he is gonna upgrade other things for it to handle higher line pressure. Pressure regulator maybe?? It has a shift kit in the vb.

Are there any other things he should do while it is out of the truck?

if your going to do any boosted launches you want a output or it will go bang.

If it's not too late, I'd use high energy clutches/stock type steels. Usually when a red/kolene combo slips, they tend to glaze the clutches and never recover. I've also seen the red clutch material delaminate itself from the plate.

if your going to do any boosted launches you want a output or it will go bang.
It's a 2wd so it's not needed.

If it's not too late, I'd use high energy clutches/stock type steels. Usually when a red/kolene combo slips, they tend to glaze the clutches and never recover. I've also seen the red clutch material delaminate itself from the plate.

It's a 2wd so it's not needed.

Really? I will ask him about that he said he would call me when he got it torn down. Do you think a reg transmission shop can get the high energy clutches. He doesn't specialize in hipo stuff so that's why I ask. Should I ask for billet strut and anchor as well. I am not sure about all the little parts that it would need.

They should be able to get them easier than the Reds/Kolenes. Yes it's a good idea to do the billet strut and anchor while it's apart.

They should be able to get them easier than the Reds/Kolenes. Yes it's a good idea to do the billet strut and anchor while it's apart.

Are there any other internal upgrades that would be recommended for my future power level? I dont know much about autos and I am just wanting to not have to pull it again because it got burnt up in 20,000 miles.