We're building a CR motor and would like your input

MikeD

Ok guys just like the title says we are finally going to build our CR motor for the red truck. While doing this build we will be logging every nut and bolt that goes on the motor from day one on this thread.

We have already ran into our first hurdle which is spawning our first part " A Main Girdle". When we went to use the ARP mainstuds we found the stud itself would not allow for the Girdle to clear. As a result we will be building our own Main Girdle to hopefully put into production sometime late this year
CRGIRDLE.jpg

This is the point that we want some input from you guys, the racers and even the pullers. We want to know what YOU guys would like to see on a CR motor. Would you guys like to a single CP3 or a dual setup, single charger or twins, or hell maybe a supercharger.
Our Starting Point:
CRBlockFront.jpg

CRBlockSide.jpg

This is something that we think could be a great learning tool for the newbies that are comming into our sport with little to no diesel knowledge.

I went with 14mm mains and just left out the stiffener plate ( what it's called in the CR ). Enterprise makes a plate to accommodate the larger studs for 24v. Not sure if it works in the newer trucks though.

Since there's already plenty of trucks with singles and duals ( turbos and pumps ), I'd like to see you do a super charger.... that would be a first.

Get another stiffener plate from Cummins and stack them together, clearance the lower one, you can TIG them together for added strength.

that's an idea. Milling the plate makes the edges so thin, it wouldn't last at all. I haven't noticed a need for it though.... yet. I'd think 2 thick would cause problems with fitment.... have you do this ?

13mm ppump, a large race version procharger, along with a 3.2" or 3.4" inlet turbo, around 11 to 1 compression, highly ported head, cut off intake, etc etc...

Take lots of pictures...

Suppose a few holes is better then no plate at all, so long as it doesn't come apart for ya.

Do all CR motors have cam bearings all the way or was this block bored out and them installed?

Two suggestions: VGT or VVT. It should smoke less than the current power plant. ;)

My humble suggestion, keep the CR pretty hi, I wouldn't drop it less than about 15.5-16 to one, CR's seem not to like real low CR, another one is spend the money on rods and pistons they will be worth it and don't oversize the injectors too big if it is an 04.5 up ECM, if however it is a 03-04 ECM the sky is the limit. Jay

Well the first DR. Performance Block Girdle is officially complete:rockwoot:. This piece will be available with or without main studs, and will be anodized gold if Charlie has any say in it....:hehe:. The Girdle will retail for $395 or with ARP mainstuds @ $795.

This is just the first "Raw" piece every piece after this will be coated and stamped.

CRGirdle8.jpg

CRGirdle3.jpg

CRGirdle6.jpg

CRGirdle7.jpg

CRGirdle5.jpg

Next step is to get the rotating assembly balanced and coated then its time for headwork:woohoo:

Last edited: