What are the differences?

big_boi

Hey guys, fairly new user here, and was just wondering what the differences were between mechanical and electrical gauges. For instance, I am eyeing the autometer c2's. They have some that are electrical, which are more expensive, and then cheaper ones that are mechanical. Is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Depending on the application, there are safety concerns. A mechanical fuel pressure gauge can create a nasty scenario if it fails while installed inside the vehicle's drivng compartment. An electric fuel pressure gauge is the better, safer (but expensive) solution.

A mechanical boost gauge is fine.

I understand how that could become nasty....not a good thought. I am only considering boost, egt, and trans temp though, so would I be fine going all mechanical?

Boost can be mechanical no problem. EGT and Trans temp will be electric.
You'll have no issues.

Check out the new line of Di Pricols. I have them in my truck, and Jenn from over there sent me a catalog last night. They actually have some that are made to exactly match the Ford interior, and lighting.

Dont get me wrong, I love the look of those gauges. I would buy them in a hearbeat if it wasnt for the price. How about this...you guys give me some reasons why I should buy these over the other, cheaper ones, other than the fact it has a perfect dash match. Do they have more technology in them vs the Autometer C2's?

True, I realize that now lol. That might have been one of the dumbest questions I have asked. Oh well, first time for everything. Guess I'll just save a little and buy em. Got anyone vendors you would recommend on here?

Thanks guys,

Josh

how do you figure out which is best...

go to the professionals..look at what all the drag racers,nascar.. etc.. etc.. use for gauges..

its autometer...

they are the best..been around long then I have been alive..and aren't going anywhere..there is a reason why some gauges are cheaper..

and I say this with all do respect (I say that so it means I can say whatever I want~Ricky Bobby) LOL