What is a reasonable power goal with a stock turbo

I will let you know. It is going to be a month or so. Think I'm gunna have to sell my lb7 and keep the f150 to drive until the cummins is done so I can get that turbo and have a shop up here help me out with set up. Thank You all of you guys that had input. One more question that is off topic, do I run all new fuel lines with the fass system ? I looked on the web site but the desperation is not specific. I have also seen in signatures 1/2 inch fuel lines what size are factory lines ?

A month ain't bad at all, took me 10 months to save for mine...damn Army LOL The FASS pump will come with new line, but I'm not sure if it's 1/2" or 3/8"? Believe stock is 3/8".

Would it be worth it to run 1/2 lines do you think. I have already saved up but to do the turbo I need a little more bank. So I think I may sell the lb7 to my cuzin, he has been after it for years now.

Give FASS a call, I have a feeling they already come with 1/2" line based on the fittings that come with it. I wish I could tell you first hand but I had Ashley Black do all my work for me, because I was still in Afghanistan. And thanks to Bullseye I haven't seen my truck in 6 weeks so I can't remember what size they were?

Okay thank you much man. And thank you for your service. Its the guys like you that make loving diesel and everything else possible.

Okay thank you much man. And thank you for your service. Its the guys like you that make loving diesel and everything else possible.

No problem brother glad to help in any way I can. Ahh I'm just one of many doing my job, but I do appreciate your support. :Cheer:

Might want to look at a charger and tuning from Fleece. They are making big numbers for DD trucks. And going for 700+ hp, I would contact Lavon at Firepunk for a 48re swap. Just my $.02

Good luck with your build

Rods and pistons are good till 1000hp.... No worries there

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA On a 6.7? Seriously? I dont think so, anything near or above 750/1800 RW and shes a ticking time bomb. We can consistantly bend rods a 1750-1850 Ft/lbs of torque.

To the OP, how much HP do you want to make? I feel like this is cummins forum because the first response was put a S400 on it... come on...

A S463 is capable of supporting 750RWHP, a S466 is capable of supporting 825 RWHP, a S471 is capable of supporting 925 RWHP, a S475 is capable of supporting 975 RWHP, and an S480 is capable of supporting 1050.

A 6.7 Cummins is at a soft limit on fuel by 3200 RPM and is done fueling completly by 3400 RPM. How/Why does this effect how you should spec a turbo? On a normal daily drive, pay attention to where your truck is shifting. Pay attention to what RPM you spend the meat of your time driving in.

Anything bigger than a S466 and your on the the 3200 soft governor before the charger ever begins to really move any air. A S466 is almost to big on a mildly fueled truck, and doesnt work for some applications.

All a bigger my #(*% is so big S400 does for you is move where your power curve is. A DD needs to have a broad flat power curve, this is achieved with a smaller inducer thats efficiently moving air in the meat of the RPM you spend most of your time in. A truck that carries 700 HP for 1200 RPM (When your limited to a 2600 RPM range like a 6.7) will feel much stronger, and will be faster, more powerful, than a truck that peaks at 800 but is only better than 700 for 500 RPM.

Caleb

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA On a 6.7? Seriously? I dont think so, anything near or above 750/1800 RW and shes a ticking time bomb. We can consistantly bend rods a 1750-1850 Ft/lbs of torque.

To the OP, how much HP do you want to make? I feel like this is cummins forum because the first response was put a S400 on it... come on...

A S463 is capable of supporting 750RWHP, a S466 is capable of supporting 825 RWHP, a S471 is capable of supporting 925 RWHP, a S475 is capable of supporting 975 RWHP, and an S480 is capable of supporting 1050.

A 6.7 Cummins is at a soft limit on fuel by 3200 RPM and is done fueling completly by 3400 RPM. How/Why does this effect how you should spec a turbo? On a normal daily drive, pay attention to where your truck is shifting. Pay attention to what RPM you spend the meat of your time driving in.

Anything bigger than a S466 and your on the the 3200 soft governor before the charger ever begins to really move any air. A S466 is almost to big on a mildly fueled truck, and doesnt work for some applications.

All a bigger my #(*% is so big S400 does for you is move where your power curve is. A DD needs to have a broad flat power curve, this is achieved with a smaller inducer thats efficiently moving air in the meat of the RPM you spend most of your time in. A truck that carries 700 HP for 1200 RPM (When your limited to a 2600 RPM range like a 6.7) will feel much stronger, and will be faster, more powerful, than a truck that peaks at 800 but is only better than 700 for 500 RPM.

Caleb

Whats wrong with that?

does a 6.7 really make that much more power out of these?

You're saying a 6.7 can't light a 66 by 3200rpm?

Exhibit A: of a big broad power curve on a 700HP DD tow rig. 63mm Holset HE351 Cheetah vs a Stock HE351ve VGT turbo. This truck is over 1000 Ft/lbs of torque from near 1700 RPM to the governor, and over 1250 ft/lbs from 1850 RPM to near 2800. IE: 1000 RPM over 1250 Ft/lbs or twice the factory rating.

As far as HP the truck is over 500 HP from 1950 RPM on, and over 600 from 2200 on. IE: 1000 RPM over 600 RWHP or twice the factory rating.

This is not a "Oh look how cool Fleece is" post, this is simply an example of why getting the right turbo, on the right truck, for the right situation, makes all the difference in the world. And to prove that an S400 on a 6.7, is not always the right solution.

But... In case you were wondering, thats the "little" 63/64/9cm ND Holset HE351cw derivitive Cheetah.

Caleb

Attachments

• Jake_HE351cw.pdf
    57 KB · Views: 0
Exhibit A: of a big broad power curve on a 700HP DD tow rig. 63mm Holset HE351 Cheetah vs a Stock HE351ve VGT turbo. This truck is over 1000 Ft/lbs of torque from near 1700 RPM to the governor, and over 1250 ft/lbs from 1850 RPM to near 2800. IE: 1000 RPM over 1250 Ft/lbs or twice the factory rating.

As far as HP the truck is over 500 HP from 1950 RPM on, and over 600 from 2200 on. IE: 1000 RPM over 600 RWHP or twice the factory rating.

This is not a "Oh look how cool Fleece is" post, this is simply an example of why getting the right turbo, on the right truck, for the right situation, makes all the difference in the world. And to prove that an S400 on a 6.7, is not always the right solution.

But... In case you were wondering, thats the "little" 63/64/9cm ND Holset HE351cw derivitive Cheetah.

Caleb

Oh ok, I missed the fleece part. I knew they had a killer 63. Didn't know it was over 700hp yet. Still how did that 63 not light till 1600? On my 12 valve my ED was gone by 1500, my box stock 366 was lit by 1800, and my 467 also lights at 1800.

What about the lighting a 66 by 3200 rpm? I still don't understand that.

Last edited:
Whats wrong with that?

If a guy wants to make 600-700 RHWP on his DD tow rig for example, he doesnt need a S400.

does a 6.7 really make that much more power out of these?

S463/83/.90 (2.5" Workstock Puller) on the last stock motor 6.7 we dynoed, 3.42 gears, 33" tires, rolled 772/1795. And had short rods...

You're saying a 6.7 can't light a 66 by 3200rpm?

No Im saying you are going to limit your powercurve, based off of the fact a bigger turbo takes longer to come on. A S466 is as big as I would go, without some good fueling mods.

Caleb

My horse power goal is somewhere between 500hp and 600hp. Maybe a little over six but not much. And I'm not getting rid of my 6 speed stick. That is the main reason I did not get a LBZ I wanted manual again. My main deal is having a truck that will eat little ricers on the street but will also get decent fuel economy and last a long time without having to rebuild.

Does fleece use EFI Live or do they have their own out of the box tuner. I was planning on taking my truck to Cummins Tuner in Union, IL

Last edited:
Why??? :bang:

And what year is your truck?

My truck is a 07.5. And as far as eating the little ricers I was not being completely serious when I said that. I guess a better way of putting it would be that I want a truck that will be a blast to drive everyday. Not saying that it wont be fun to mess with the kids that drive the little 350z's around here when they pull up next to a stock looking truck though :lolly:

My truck is a 07.5. And as far as eating the little ricers I was not being completely serious when I said that. I guess a better way of putting it would be that I want a truck that will be a blast to drive everyday. Not saying that it wont be fun to mess with the kids that drive the little 350z's around here when they pull up next to a stock looking truck though :lolly:

Oh ok. That makes a lot more sense now. LOL

Yeah you'll definitely be good with efi live then because I wasn't sure what year your truck was. Make sure you get that thing deleted also if it isn't already.

50 psi drop in drive pressure and 400 degree egt drop with that turbo on the dyno over stock . Impressive !!

Oh ok. That makes a lot more sense now. LOL

Yeah you'll definitely be good with efi live then because I wasn't sure what year your truck was. Make sure you get that thing deleted also if it isn't already.

Oh it will be sir. And guys what is done to these trucks running 5000rpm on youtube. Is there a ton of work in these engines and is the engine even making any real power at those r's ? In this vid they say valve springs and push tubes ?? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv8AxOU7IRg"]First Cummins to 5000+ RPM with EFILive - YouTube[/ame] to handle it but will the stock bottom end and everything else handle this ?

FPE Billet S363/68 Turbocharger ? thoughts on these. Says its capable of 650rwhp on there site.