what is the neck area of a Turbo?

what is the "neck" area of a Turbo

• red

Votes: 44 69.8%
  • green

Votes: 19 30.2%

• Total voters
Sounds like someone was slinging bs. Ive mentioned this before and I saw patrick mentioned it in the ppl rule thread. The current smoothbore 3inch turbos would be a direct replacement for the current 2.6 class turbos as they make the same power. These are available from any shop as they have been used on tractors for along time. You would need to swap the wheel and compressor cover and your done. Same thing you would be doing anyways when someone like ppl changes the wording in a turbo rule. This keeps power the same and gets rid of the current mwe problems.

I was told the smooth bore was brought up and no one wanted to design new chargers to replace all the time spent making these current models

The designs have been done long ago....whoever said that isn't being totally forthcoming.

If the class goes smooth bore, it puts two turbo shops in the driver's seat. That's all good except one big pulling truck shop doesn't do much business with either one of those.....

If the class goes smooth bore, it puts two turbo shops in the driver's seat. That's all good except one big pulling truck shop doesn't do much business with either one of those.....

I think the haisleys could manage to figure something out that would work.

I think the haisleys could manage to figure something out that would work.

Maybe but they would struggle.

Get rid of the trick grooves and it all comes down to the best wheel aero, and there are some folks out ahead on that technology that aren't going to hand their stuff over to competitor shops....

don't shoot me, I don't belong in this "mess" but why not make it simple, run whatever the fook ya want, as loong as it has a 3 inch hole in a plate or 2 and a half inch, whatever seems to limit the power effectively across the board, out front. voila, restrictor plate sled pulling. set a min and a max distance from the inlet face that would be easy enough to tell even with the boost boot on.

don't shoot me, I don't belong in this "mess" but why not make it simple, run whatever the fook ya want, as loong as it has a 3 inch hole in a plate or 2 and a half inch, whatever seems to limit the power effectively across the board, out front. voila, restrictor plate sled pulling. set a min and a max distance from the inlet face that would be easy enough to tell even with the boost boot on.

Because the $4800 turbo people would strongly resist a $48 solution to a problem we all know the answer to.

Since all of yall are much smarter than I,
Someone mind explaining to this newb exactly what the MWE groove on a turbo is? And how it is modified to increse a turbos performance?

I would greatly appreciate it

A MWE groove when used in a factory application as it was originally designed for helps extend the map of a particular compressor wheel and helps alleviate turbo surge. The way its exploited is by using the MWE groove to bypass whatever bore a certiain turbo is sized for. Basic terms basically allows way more air to the larger portion of the wheel effectively making that turbo behave much larger than the plug that fits in the front of it.

I was all ready to say the neck is the red arrow. Then another sort of reasoning popped into my head. This may seem stupid, but what is commonly referred to as your "throat" is the hole going down through through your "neck".......

I was all ready to say the neck is the red arrow. Then another sort of reasoning popped into my head. This may seem stupid, but what is commonly referred to as your "throat" is the hole going down through through your "neck".......

Not at all trying to say your wrong. But if your choice is green.... how do you measure the 3.0 wheel in the green area?

I do agree with that, I guess I'd have to say the wording contradicts itself. Sort of. I guess.

I think it does also. I'm with weston i believe it was a poor attempt to keep forward facing MWE grove cover out of the class. But the rule is VERY vague to me. Seems like every year it just gets worse. Smooth bore IS the ONLY option that will ever fix this problem, but i don't see it coming any time soon. The current pullers that have bought the BIG power turbos will keep voting to keep them and the people that don't have them will keep fussing wanting rule changes lol It'll never end