What is this?

duke1n

Banned
It's in the #4 hole only and only on 1/2 the cylinder. It's actually on surface of the wall and not something that is pitted. You can't feel it with your finger nail and in spots you can see the cross hatch under it.

I'm about to just yank the rest of the engine and go all the way through it and balance & BP it. Can a VP44 with the right cam reliably spin 4-4500 and make power all the way up? What are the weak links if you want to spin faster with a 24v vp and where are the thresholds?

blocknum4%2Ejpg

Getting scared of 7.3 I see:kick: LOL
it will take more than what a pos vp44 can give you:eek:wned:

Ok David, thanks for your input lol.

What would you know about gettin jiggy wit it using a VP44 anyway?

Mike, you got a wider angle pic for refrence? hard to tell exactly what I'm lookin at.

Eh? It scolls at the bottom of the pic. It's looking down in the #4 jug.

duke1n said:
Eh? It scolls at the bottom of the pic. It's looking down in the #4 jug.

Sorry man, didnt catch the scroll bar. Looks like carbon buildup to me too, but I dont know why it would only be in one cylinder.

Hmm... I've seen carbon but it's usually darker in color. Maybe just the ring sliding over it has "polished" it up a little?

Do these motors need a balance & bp job to spin smoothly that high?

If it's just carbon could you just use like a firearm carbon cutter solvent to remove it?

Actually just beginning to think about going to that next step of yanking the rest of the engine and getting into the bottem end. What are the advantages of the 06 pistons and gapless rings?

That cylinder looks to be in good shape (since the cross-hatch is still visible)
how does the piston look?

that's exactly what I was thinking. the cross hatch is still very good looking, how many miles on it?

My guess would be a couple holes in that injector may have been clogged and not atomizing the fuel properly, hence the carbon.

George

there is a cam in the VP44 and apparently that is the limiting factor? P-pump *****! :D maybe the carbon is from the commie parts? OH SNAP!

LMAO commie parts have only been in about 1/4 of the lifespan of the truck so maybe it was worse before they were installed and the superior F1 injectors have actually worked to reverse the effect of the original parts that were made by real commies. Don't hate the playa lol!

So what about that cam? How fast can these engines be spun with factory balance? With fresh blueprint & balance? I'll have springs, and cam, and Redline for fuel and Comp for timing. I don't want to necessarily turn 4500rpm for the sake of turning it if power falls off at 3400. So can you make a VP truck have a nice flat or rising curve on up into the higher ranges?

Powerstroke Racer said:
Getting scared of 7.3 I see:kick: LOL
it will take more than what a pos vp44 can give you:eek:wned:

Your kidding, right?

VP44 > HEUI, any day of the week. :kick:

The mark on the cylinder wall just looks like a little carbon. If you cannot feel a ridge with your finger, I would not worry about it.

The VP should turn a max of 4200 RPM, the computer on th VP will not allow it to spin any faster then that, if you want to go more then that, you will need a P pump or common rail.

Gap-less rings are pointless.

You can feel up to .0001" with your finger nail. If you can't feel it, then don't worry about it. How are you planning to spin a VP44 at 4200 anyhow?

brandon.

4200RPM? Easy, done it all last year pulling. You got the right combo Duke, a HRVP44, a Redline w/ no governer, and a Comp for the timing. I did it all last year with a stock cam, and stock head gasket @ 60+psi on a pretty big turbo (1.14 A/R on the turbine side). I had studs, valve springs, keepers and retainers (You should do much better with a cam in it) I did nuke a pump though (fried the cpm), I think it was rpm related, but you gotta pay to play.

The pump will let you know when it don't like the rpm, it does break up pretty bad when the electronics in the pump can't keep up with the speed of the engine. I hope this info helps.
-Tom

yep, redline box is the only one thats gonna go that high, and you will need valve springs just to be safe. and i honestly dont think you will need balanced and BP'd to spin 4200. thats not very fast, and for a naturally balanced inline 6 4200 is nothing. i know when i hit 3600 my engine actually gets smoother and quieter as it spins faster.

I can turn 4400 with mine still usen stock springs cam and what not , probally useless sence its stock cam and such but it hits so fast sometimes u cant help it unless I turn the limter down to 3400 , I was told a guy here in Ky is turning 4700 but he keeps breaking valves

Good stuff thx guys. A couple follow up questions...

Anyone have a dyno graph for one of these 4k+ engines? Just curious with the right combo of parts, if you can make power all the way up there. Turning 4400 if the power is falling off at 3400 maybe doesn't make sense in a drag app and that limit should be addressed by adding a GV unit or something? Tom, what does your seat of the pants dyno tell you about the curve up there at 4k+?

Regarding the stock balance, given that the motor will spin that fast without self destructing, is there a lot to be had by going ahead and doing a full balance & bp? Can you do the old stand a nickle on it's side trick with a factory balance? ;)

Thanks, keep it coming. I'm so far into this thing now I'm about to just go all out and try and bury some people around here who's initials are

"R"

"O"

"B"

"B"

"I"

"E"

lol

Tcolesanti said:
4200RPM? Easy, done it all last year pulling. You got the right combo Duke, a HRVP44, a Redline w/ no governer, and a Comp for the timing. I did it all last year with a stock cam,

-Tom

You think the cam plays a big factor ?, even just doing a regrind is there enough to make a difference ? I figure going all out with long duration and hi lift it's going to help but there u go with notching pistons , I was planing on a regrind and a buddy of mine has one of those garrmon adjustable cam gears I thought about playing with

Duke was u planning on a drop in cam or custom ?

Duke, the charger played alot with my "seat of the pants meter" My charger was only making 42psi @3700rpm. By the time I was over 4000 it was 60+psi. So it "feels" like it is making more power up there, because it is, but not because of the fueling curve, just the sheer RPM to get my charger to light.

Rods, yes, I believe at this point in the game, any change to the cam would be beneficial, just getting more air in and out.

-Tom