what killed televised indoor pulling?

jaybrown

just wondered if anyone knew some history on the sport back in the 80's....A friend of mine that used to travel with the hagar sled (artic cat) in the 80's said that the monster trucks were getting started back then and they stole the indoor show.....any thoughts

Would have to agree with the monster trucks also the sheer cost of the events. These were 2 and 3 and 4 day events that were awesome but when the USHRA found the monster trucks it was all over for pulling. We used to travel all over the country pulling indoors, Hell we even pulled in Madison Square Gardens in New York City with our Alky truck not many people can say that. Thats back when pulling was really taking off

someone posted a bunch of stuff from 1988 on youtube thanks!!! damm some events had 60-70 alky 4 wheelers

Yea that was in its hay day kinda like the diesel truck revolution we are in now.If you see a red 66 chevy(Dixie Digger) in any of those vids thats our truck with my step dad at the wheel

I remember that truck.That was the day's of TNT.
We used to have pulls in Bush stadiom in St.Louis and in the Checker dome is where the hockey was play"d
Boy those were the good old day'swith the OrangeBlossom Speicial.To many names to post.
The Hollam brothers had a old chevy to it was a shortbed I think it was called 4 play if I remember wright.
Dale

Last edited:
You can type in Orange Blossom Speical is what I did.

Dale

I am just up the road from the Orange Blossom Special

as a kid my dad took me to the monster truck shows down at the baltimore arena and they had sled pulls with the monster trucks. I still have the programs from those shows. i love watching the tractors pulling and the pullers with 4 and 5 engines.

I think that with the right promoter, you could fill coliseums again with the NTPA/PPL show. Hell, we fill the Birmingham coliseum with FMX and crappy monster truck shows (the arena as not big enough for a good race)

I remember going to the pulls as a kid... they would have USA1 or Bigfoot as a Shideshow to the pull. the place was packed Friday night and for 2 shows on Saturday.

Allen Gaines and his Orange Blossom Special still make a few runs a year in and around Georgetown, KY.

I remember the old stiches truck from back in the day. They did have a 4wd at one time. Dunno if they still do or even if they still pull

I remember that truck.That was the day's of TNT.
We used to have pulls in Bush stadiom in St.Louis and in the Checker dome is where the hockey was play"d
Boy those were the good old day'swith the OrangeBlossom Speicial.To many names to post.
The Hollam brothers had a old chevy to it was a shortbed I think it was called 4 play if I remember wright.
Dale

Yea Hollman's still have 4 Play. We used to run every where in the winter. They even used to drag race with sleds behind them. Man i miss those days

stitches didn't Jim Lyons drive it.

And the anoncers got the crowd worked up the way they talked with soom excitment.And acted like they new what they was talking about.

Dale

Red Man and Budwiser must of put some $$$$$ into these events.....Jack Danies had a alky truck....they had some good sponsors back then....