what size tubing?? #locoMOTIVE

FMackey

Im drawing up some plans for a project Im calling #locoMOTIVE

ame]

My first question is what size tubing do you guys think I should make the frame out off?

Its gonna have an 8.3L Cummis with an 10 speed, military axles, and built to tow 30,000lbs.

Looks like something sellerz would build. Ditch the stack, mud tires, big suspension, and it might be good for 30k pounds.

HaHa. my day job is heavy haul with a big rig...grossing over 100K any day of the week. so Im pretty sure Ive got a level head when it comes to weight. I might not ever load this truck up to that but at least it aught to be able to hold its own if somebody like sellerz ever challenges me. but thats beside the point.

Im gonna go down to United Supply and see what the biggest stock is they have.

And by the way, those ain't no puny mud tires. Those are 11r24.5 commercials which happen to be about 44 inches tall. But they still won't make this truck as tall as my semi

Why lift a truck stupid high, if you intend to tow?
I think it would look 100x better and be more functional at a "normal" height.

I'm digging it! 'cept for maby the stacks, but it's your truck. Build it however you want.

If your going for a truss style frame use 2 1/2 dom tube or if you want simpler you could use 3x8x3/8 rectangular tube like we used to use on leaf spring monster trucks. Guessing your planning on five ton axles for the right bolt pattern for those 24.5's you should have no problem towing #30,000 with your power train.

Thank you gorilla550 for actually contributing to the thread. I have no idea why most people in the world think they have to spout out their opinions even though they ain't even remotely relevant to the subject.

But I don't mind responding right now...just cause I'm bored....and don't mind watching the drama.

First off forget everything you know about those little 1ton pick'em up toys with their cheap lifts. This is more like my Peterbilts little brother with big guns. The reason the cab sits up high like that is to clear the drive train with a flat bottom cherry wood floor(just like the Petercar) so the frame won't even be any taller off the ground than my Petercar. It's like semi with a 1966 f100 cab and less like a pickup than you think. To the guy that thinks the door is backwards. It's gonna open more like a Lamborghini door and less like a Lincoln Continintal. Meaning straight overhead like bird wings. Cause at 54 inches long, that's a little heavy to swing on a stock door hing. (I've got three cabs to make this one limo-lambo cab). And lastly the number one comment on a thread about tube frames, "I don't like your stacks". To that I say "go sit on pine cone"

Would you say that you are.......

#changingthegame?

You say it won't be any higher off of the ground than your Pete, is your pete's frame 42 inches off of the ground?

I was just trying to help you consider a design that isn't obnoxious as hell and impractical. The engine, trans, axles, body combo would be cool enough, and I'd love to see that project. Carry on.

Would you say that you are.......

#changingthegame?

You say it won't be any higher off of the ground than your Pete, is your pete's frame 42 inches off of the ground?

Prob won't be as heavy as the Pete either. I can't see the original picture.

Good on you for trying something different but a goofy looking truck that's cab sits above an 11r24.5 tire isn't a good idea from a towing stand point and a bad idea from an aesthetic point of view. You did put a question on an open forum so don't complain about the responses you get take the good and bad an move on.

Last edited:
Newbs dont know the ways of the CompD. They will learn or leave.

Thank you gorilla550 for actually contributing to the thread. I have no idea why most people in the world think they have to spout out their opinions even though they ain't even remotely relevant to the subject.

But I don't mind responding right now...just cause I'm bored....and don't mind watching the drama.

First off forget everything you know about those little 1ton pick'em up toys with their cheap lifts. This is more like my Peterbilts little brother with big guns. The reason the cab sits up high like that is to clear the drive train with a flat bottom cherry wood floor(just like the Petercar) so the frame won't even be any taller off the ground than my Petercar. It's like semi with a 1966 f100 cab and less like a pickup than you think. To the guy that thinks the door is backwards. It's gonna open more like a Lamborghini door and less like a Lincoln Continintal. Meaning straight overhead like bird wings. Cause at 54 inches long, that's a little heavy to swing on a stock door hing. (I've got three cabs to make this one limo-lambo cab). And lastly the number one comment on a thread about tube frames, "I don't like your stacks". To that I say "go sit on pine cone"

Id love to see someone shut a lambo style door on a lifted truck.

I took the post as trolling too. Seems like someone capable of building such a custom project with grafted cabs, etc, would know what size tubing to use. I'd probably have somone run some calcs on 2x8x.375

Back