what size tubing?? #locoMOTIVE

^^^
Thats to show the top of the frame of a real work truck at 44 inches tall. I haul a CAT D9N with it. A "normal height" pickup would just fall on its face.
image_1.jpeg

With 43 inch tires and 4.10 gears

Last edited:
The reason for this build is cause even as awesome as my 600 horse CAT is, its little bit overkill just to haul my backhoe. CAT C16 = 3.5mpg vs. Cummins 8.3L = 9mpg. This will cut that part of the fuel bill in half.

I was planning on getting some c channel frame rails bent the same as on the semi. They're 4x10x 3/8. I thought I should come on this sled puller forum to if y'all had some ideas for tubing frame size and to see about the weight differences, but apparently anybody with an original idea just gets attacked. And now just for fun, I'd like to see you goobers try to shut my lambo doors. Jumpin up and down waving your arms "I can't reach it now" as I kick the PTO in and close the door from the front seat.

The reason for this build is cause even as awesome as my 600 horse CAT is, its little bit overkill just to haul my backhoe. CAT C16 = 3.5mpg vs. Cummins 8.3L = 9mpg. This will cut that part of the fuel bill in half.

I was planning on getting some c channel frame rails bent the same as on the semi. They're 4x10x 3/8. I thought I should come on this sled puller forum to if y'all had some ideas for tubing frame size and to see about the weight differences, but apparently anybody with an original idea just gets attacked. And now just for fun, I'd like to see you goobers try to shut my lambo doors. Jumpin up and down waving your arms "I can't reach it now" as I kick the PTO in and close the door from the front seat.

I guess you showed us, huh? How are you going to shut them after the truck is turned off and your on the ground? PTO won't be running then. Also so you know you have to get the frame inspected by DOT before they will allow it on the road or will give you a load rating

Get you C16 looked at lol 3.5 mpg is terrible. Small loads that can be handled on single axle would net me 9-10 mpg on my series 60.

The top of your semi from is 44" but the truck weighs a pile compared to something your doing to build if you want something better on fuel. Plus a truck has 300 gal of fuel and batteries and tool boxes plus a tandem axle suspension to keep from twisting jmo.

Your not getting attacked for a different idea. Your getting attacked because your saying that jacking a custom built truck up on 22.5 for towing makes sense because a 20k lb truck with 3 axles does it.

On top of that most "work" trucks I see frame doesn't sit as high as the tops of the tires let alone above them. What's your ride height set at from centre of axle to underside of frame? What suspension on your "work" truck an what size tires?

Like as if my gonna leave the back doors open when I shut down for the day. You just like to argue. The front doors are still shut all regular. Even so you bring up a good point about the DOT that I didn't think about. I bet if I use the box tubing or c channel it'll pass without their inspectors knowing what they're looking at.

You underestimate a large group of people. Here, and at the DOT.

Nothing about what you have proposed is practical. What state do you live in?

M939 5 ton is 9.5 feet tall and the bottom of frame rail is 42 inches from ground with the 48s. We have 7 of them and they drive and tow just fine

The irony of this thread is crazy. Here I am a blue collar working man fixing to build a vehicle that will allow me to do my job in a more efficient manner, going from a class 8 fuel hog down to this medium duty and Im the one that gets called a douche by guys that have sled pullers. I mean how impractical are they. They pull a sled 200 feet and then just get loaded back on a trailer.

Any how I got what I needed to know here so Hasta la Vista and Goodbye

The irony of this thread is crazy. Here I am a blue collar working man fixing to build a vehicle that will allow me to do my job in a more efficient manner, going from a class 8 fuel hog down to this medium duty and Im the one that gets called a douche by guys that have sled pullers. I mean how impractical are they. They pull a sled 200 feet and then just get loaded back on a trailer.

Any how I got what I needed to know here so Hasta la Vista and Goodbye

I don't sled pull a built diesel truck. As much fun as it would be. The guys that do usually build.purpose built trucks. I guess they see the purpose you want to use for and the design you have and don't see how the two match up.

My class 8 rig isn't so horrible on fuel that it's worth it to build a middle rig between it and my 2500 ram.

What weight ara you wanting this midsize towing truck to be? How many axles on the ground? 2wd? Single tire axles?

The irony of this thread is crazy. Here I am a blue collar working man fixing to build a vehicle that will allow me to do my job in a more efficient manner, going from a class 8 fuel hog down to this medium duty

The irony is crazy. You speak of being efficient. Figure up costs and pay yourself $10 a hour to build this project. It'll take you 3 lifetimes for it to pay for itself.

Buy a dammed FL70 and call it a day.

Wait... you guys are saying there is an entire class of truck for this very purpose?

Wait... you guys are saying there is an entire class of truck for this very purpose?

Lmao, was thinking the exact same thing.

3.5mpg out of a stock C16 the guy must drive like a douche. I can drive like an a-hole with my 800hp C15 and do better than that @ 150k gross.

I don't even know how you could drive douchey enough to get 3.5 out of a c16.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

But when sellerz wants to call him out he won't have anything to go up against the kings of douchebags with.

Not that it's any less geh but wouldn't it be easier to fit a pickup body to a medium duty chassis? I mean you would still be a flat bill homo but at least it might not be a complete cobbled up road hazard.

Or he could buy one of these. I forgot about them till now.

International CXT
6dba5ebf346f284ab7625d1b90b6a9f4.jpg

Back