what to do with the head off?

798 JMan

So I have to change my headgasket and was wondering about porting. I have searched and read articles about what the benefits are and feel like its worth the few hours. I could not find details and pictures on how to so if anyone knows what tools and how to grind and have pictures that would be appreciated. Thanx guys.

There is a thread on here about head porting with pics, but if its your first time and your DD, i would polish the ports up and throw it back on, cause if you hit a water jacket your going to be in trouble.

Summit and Jegs sell port/polish kits, all you need is a die grinder. Gloves and safety glasses are a really good idea as well.

I think its a huge waste of time for anything that is beeing a daily driver. Spend the time waxing it alot... the effect from less wind resistance due to wax will benifit you more in your pocket. Well, unless you are really bored and have time for it then why not!

..... waste of time on a 24v maybe..... nothing but beneficial on a 12v

have you o ringed or fire ringed it? while your doing that you could put on valve springs. i have heard that porting and polishing isnt that worth it.

IT is my DD but I do tow alot. Ive read that porting helps with spoolup and my auto with a tight converter and 3.55 gears will not like a bigger turbo (my62/12 is too hot). Can I make my own Orings/fire rings (friend has a machine shop)? SPEEDSHIFT; does polishing actually do anything? I mean I understand the resistance factor but would gasket matching still be close to waterjackets? I read the tech article on CF about porting and it was saying something about the air rotating through the passages up and down and sideways. I know a little bit but that threw me off bad!! haha I build pipelines by trade so Im pretty handy with metal working. Thank you guys for the responses.

gasket matching is the outside edge and about an inch in... working the valve bowls is where u have dangerous water passges, least to my under standing

IT is my DD but I do tow alot. Ive read that porting helps with spoolup and my auto with a tight converter and 3.55 gears will not like a bigger turbo (my62/12 is too hot). Can I make my own Orings/fire rings (friend has a machine shop)? SPEEDSHIFT; does polishing actually do anything? I mean I understand the resistance factor but would gasket matching still be close to waterjackets? I read the tech article on CF about porting and it was saying something about the air rotating through the passages up and down and sideways. I know a little bit but that threw me off bad!! haha I build pipelines by trade so Im pretty handy with metal working. Thank you guys for the responses.

Anything is better than what you have, and its easy to get carried away with porting if you dont know what to look out for. I say head work sure wont hurt, especially if you are doing it your self. Its when you are paying to have it done, is where it can become not very cost-effective, like you can spend $5k and have a super tricked out head and gain 20hp, or do pump work or a bigger turbo for less then half and get 5 times the power (depending on your setup).

Gasket matching would be fine, but bowl work is where the real difference is made.

Here are some pics to help...

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/head-porting-t266131.html

Thanks so much for the help. Can I port my turbo? Is there extra metal in the exhaust housing or is it not worth it? I was just thinking of reaching in through the exhaust flange and removing some.