what to do?

smoken02

This whole diesel world is new to me. what would be the next best step for power on my 02 ram and when do i start worring about my at trans?

I would say with that Drag Comp- start to worry LOL and eyeballin your list of mods, the next bomb you throw at your truck will really find your weak links in the stock trans, if it hasn't started to find them already LOL

What are the other mods that you are planning? Injectors? Turbo?

Suncoast has made me VERY happy,:rockwoot: and lots of others too.....

Tranny first, then get stoooopid with it :evil

Support the power, where you are at now power wise the stock tranny will not like it long, upgrading the torque converter and valve body can make a HUGE difference. Once you can get the power to the ground?? The limit on VP 44 trucks is around 800HP, how close to that do you want to be???

i would like to go with injectors,ported head, and turbo single or twins which ever would be better for the strip.

you can get to about 6 bills on a single

i would probably be happy with that. will that still be street friendly?

Billysgoat said:
The limit on VP 44 trucks is around 800HP,

Dude..wait.....what?

I have yet to see a VP make 800HP on fuel only.....

Smokem said:
If your smarter than me, then how do I know he meant with the aid of nitrous injection? Plus I had to tell you how to beat that Muller Motorsports pulling game.

Nitrous is for cheaters and people that can't get passed level 7 on the pulling game.

MKoth said:
Dude..wait.....what?

I have yet to see a VP make 800HP on fuel only.....

Yes, I meant with the giggle gas, sorry for the confusion, Oh master of the pulling game :poke:

smoken02> All depends on what you are willing to live with in terms of smoke and turbo lag.

smoken02 said:
Hey guys, uh back to my streetable question.

Define "streetable".

I think your next weakest link is the trans.

What about a fuel system, you don't have anything listed?

streetable to me is still being able to drive it 35 miles to work everyday verses just being a weekend hotrod.other than my afe 2, 4 inch mbrp, and drag comp everything else is factory. I guess i should tackle the trans before i consider anything else. anyone recomend a place that will install the trans they sell? I just want to do it right the first time. my ultimate goal would be the most hp i could get without having to trailer it cross country if thats where i was going, and i wouldnt want a trans that would handle anything less.

Last edited:
Your next concern would be to throw as much as you can to the trans, get as much billet internals that you can afford. A single disc works well, a triple even better.

You could do about 600+ with a single then have a couple hits of N.O.S. for the strip. Bringing that HP number up..

Building up the trans is paramount to transferring that power to the ground, otherwise it gets lost and will take parts in the system out in the long run. You will need a very healthy lift pump to keep the VP-44 supplied with plenty of fuel, a bigger suction line in the tank pickup, larger feed line, larger inlet fitting on the VP ect..

There are some nice singles that will support 600 on a VP equipped engine and still remain somewhat streetable.

Your very first hurdle is the driveline which most important being the transmission.

:thankyou2: what is a lift pump? sounds $$$$$. sorry for my ignorance.

The lift pump is the pump that supplies the injection pump with fuel. You need to make sure there is a healthy supply of that fuel going to the injection pump, if not a very expensive lesson is learned in the form of a wasted injection pump as the fuel that passes thru the injection pump lubricates and cools the internals of said injection pump. Drop below 6 psi and bad things start to happen inside it.