what to do?

smoken02 said:
:thankyou2: what is a lift pump? sounds $$$$$. sorry for my ignorance.

Hooo boy, time for another book LOL

As El Jefe stated, you need to keep a good supply of fuel to the VP44 to keep it alive, the pump supplied by the factory just won't cut the mustard much above stock power levels. There are several options available for aftermarket fuel systems, which system you use will be detirmined by a couple of things. How mechanically inclined are you?? If you are purty good with a wrench you can build your own using any of a variety of eletrical pumps and fab up all your own lines etc. Conversly you can purchase ready to go kits from several of our site vendors. Now you need to think about where you are going with your truck, if you are after mega HP you will need mega fuel, something on the lines of an Aeromotive A-1000 pump plumbed with 1/2 lines drawing from a larger pickup tube in the tank and going to a bypass/return type regulator, or you can get a FASS 150 kit that has it all in one box. One system you build yourself, the other you buy, you smell what I'm steppin' in?? :hehe:

On the tranny, look around your area and find a dealer for Suncoast or DTT or David Goerend or.........you get the picture, I strongly reccomend dealing with whoever is the best and the closest to you in the event of a problem. FWIW, I prefer Suncoast, most of the top racers seem to as well. RD was correct on one other point as well, spend lots now, or lots later, your choice (do it right the FIRST time :bang).

Remember this, we have ALL been in your shoes, don't be afraid to ask questions, it's the only way to learn. Go through and read most of the 24V forum, you can learn a good bit real quick on your truck there, what you don't understand ask for clarification on, and you'll get it. This site was built for HP junkies to get together and talk about how to make trucks faster, enjoy!!

with a fass 150 kit or the a1000 will the vp44 handle 600hp? when would i have to upgrade to hrvp44? did i say that right?

Depends on really how serious your power quest is...... :evil: Many have found the limits of the Fass. It is a great product for its intentions, and serves as a great street set-up out of one package, but hp is an addiction, and depending on how addicted you become will determine how qwickly you'll discover that more fuel is needed.......:woohoo: $.02

It should meet your needs if your that serious but many people have used the F.A.S.S. with success, again depends on how addicted to HP you are......

:evil:

well i have been a gearhead all my life ,and like alot of other people im sure, i can never have to much hp. i was big into muscle cars before a good friend of mine got me into diesels. just knowing i could always get more hp will probably always push me for more, budget allowed of course.

The F.A.S.S. will be fine up to a certain point, several of us found that point and moved on.... But it is a great starting point.

The A1000 with the right lines and regulator will supply all the fuel you need for any HP level you can reach with a VP44, soon as it warms up enough for my money tree to start growing again that is the pump and setup I plan to build for the goat.

I also heard a rumor that the a1000 doesnt like this new low sulfer diesel fuel. is this true?Also does anyone know who would be the closest suncoast dealer to me? or recomend a good one. i dont mind driving a few extra miles for the best.

Last edited:
You can call Suncoast direct and they can inform you of the nearest Suncoast dealer in your area -that number is -1-800-868-0053.

You can also drive into eastern Iowa and have Black Widow diesel put your Suncoast in.

I strongly recommend a Georend trans, they are in easter Iowa, also.

smoken02 said:
I also heard a rumor that the a1000 doesnt like this new low sulfer diesel fuel. is this true?

If the A1000 has a problem with the fuel, the VP will go out long before the A1000.

I always run enough standeyne in the tank to treat 30 gallons, and I think it is a good practice to get into.