What trans do I have ?

STROKETHISF350

I have a trans from an 03 dodge 3500, after disassembling it I believe its a 48re because it has 6 pinion steel planetaries and a 3 piece rear band. I'm confused because the Vin number identifies the trans for that truck as being a 47re. I was hoping it was a 48 so it be great if it actually was, does anyone have an idea which one I have or if there's any other way to identify it from the internals.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I have a trans from an 03 dodge 3500, after disassembling it I believe its a 48re because it has 6 pinion steel planetaries and a 3 piece rear band. I'm confused because the Vin number identifies the trans for that truck as being a 47re. I was hoping it was a 48 so it be great if it actually was, does anyone have an idea which one I have or if there's any other way to identify it from the internals.

I thought the cases had 47 and 48 cast into them.

Monkey Fist Rage

They mixed and matched things I'm pretty sure. Does it have a sealing ring on the stator support shaft?

I'm not really sure I'll have to check I thought because it had that band and plantets it would be a 48

What color is the exposed part of the pump? Dark Gray, or is it pretty much rusted?

Early CR truck will have both 47 and 48re. The low reverse bands in both will be split. The sign of a 48 is a 6 pinion planet and if the pump has been clear coated. One other way is counting the clutches in the forward and direct drums.

With that being said any of them could be modified and you would have to study it to tell.

Also noteworthy 48RE items:

- deeper pan
- 1/4" thick sun-shell
- range selector sensor (gear position indicator)
- 5:1 apply lever
- separator plates are different in VB

- deeper pan
- 1/4" thick sun-shell

Pretty sure the late 47RE(the ones that are in 3rd gens) have the range selector as well.

The 235 hp and the 250 hp should have the 47re for sure since they were considered "SO"

- deeper pan
- 1/4" thick sun-shell

It does seem to have the range selector, im assuming its the square plug on the drivers side rear, I'll have to check the apply lever when I get home and also the color of the pump

a5u5yga8.jpg

Don't know if either of these will help I can get more pics later

Back