What would you do?

Which Mod next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
4x4dually said:
Lord, this thing is laggy enough as it is. Remember, this is a daily driver...sled puller wanna be but never will be truck. :hehe:

Your are kinda screwed then.

A good cam will help spin a large turbo quicker.

Smokem said:
The plugs are for removing the pushrods not headbolts.

You need to relash the valvetrain on reassembly.
You are correct.....I lost my mind for a minute. You will need to adjust the lash. :bang

MKoth said:
Or you could not waste your money screwing around with a 62mm compressor.

300 degrees. :hehe:

If you are going to upgrade your turbo, spend the extra money and do a 64 mm or 66 mm compressor, with a 71mm turbine to prevent surge.
I have run 5 different turbos on my truck ranging from 64/12, 64/14, 62/12, 62/14 & now a Super Stock 62. Yes I said 300* cooler while towing. A 64 or 66 is too big to tow....they are racing compressors.

cummins724 said:
I have run 5 different turbos on my truck ranging from 64/12, 64/14, 62/12, 62/14 & now a Super Stock 62. Yes I said 300* cooler while towing. A 64 or 66 is too big to tow....they are racing compressors.

So, was the difference in the 62/14 and 62/12 that noticable? I know the 12 should spool faster, but a large amount or just barely noticable? I probably won't ever change it because I love how this thing cools while towing, but while racing it is a big slow. Why can't we have it all? :hehe:

4x4dually said:
So, was the difference in the 62/14 and 62/12 that noticable? I know the 12 should spool faster, but a large amount or just barely noticable? I probably won't ever change it because I love how this thing cools while towing, but while racing it is a big slow. Why can't we have it all? :hehe:
I ran 150hp Dragon Flow injectors with the turbos.....spoolup was not a issue with either one. The 14 housing spooled maybe 50-100 rpm slower & cooled egts down 100*. Problem with these turbos was that the egts would get hot before I would build 25psi boost. They would spoolup fast, but very slow to reach peak boost. I got the SS62 & although it spools up 150 rpm later than the HTB2 62/12.....it builds 50psi boost before the HTB2 62 would hit 25psi. It is like a rocket from 10psi to 50psi. In other words....the SS62:hump:

cummins724 said:

Thats odd, I know several people that tow with a 64 or 66 with no problems.

I don't really see much of a "range" of turbos, just a plain old schwitzer with some parts changed around.

What turbine wheel did you run on the s300 with the different compressor wheels?

I am willing to bet the super stock turbo has a 13cm stainless exhaust housing, right?

I ran all HTB2 turbos with standard 65mm wheels before the Super Stock 62. My SS62 was the first one out the door.....no stainless housing here guys! Paul from HT just got done with the prototype SS62 when I called & offered to be a guinea pig for testing the new turbo. I noticed that the HTB2 62/12 would come in 100-150 rpm sooner & hit 10 psi faster than the ss62, but from 10psi to peak the SS62 is about 10 times faster....which is why I see lower temps. I "beat the heat".

Smokem said:
The difference you are seeing between the low pressure and high pressure wheel is directly related to how much energy is needed to achieve peak boost pressure. The low pressure wheel will spool slower but will rise to it's peak operating range much faster since it does not require as much turbine energy due to the trim. Most low pressure wheels are not designed for an automotive application, they are meant for a constant engine speed so spoolup is sacrificed, this is why the Silver Bullet uses a 12-blade 73mm automotive turbine vs the 71mm 10-blade CDC turbine.
I would like to try a Silver 62....the SS62 is unbelievably quick.