What year CR motor to get?

12v Ford

I'm thinking about doing a CR motor in a Ford for my wife and was wondering what year motor should I get?

The things I'm looking for are best internals, rods, pistons, injectors, head, mpg, electronics and high hp #'s. You just never know how wild things can get and I want to start out with the best year motor possible.

From what I could find on the search, '03-'05 looks good. I'll probably skip the '03 because it's the first year(unless it is better than the rest of course). Not sure about the '06-'07. Truck will probably end up with twins and be used for a hotrod street truck and pulling light loads.

Thanks,

Clayton

any of them will work great. the 04.5+ had a little better piston cooling and valve seats, but with twins, you won't have any heat issues, so any will work fine

The early 03 computers work the easiest when doing the swap. I have done an 03 and an 05. All are fairly easy to do, the 03 is just easier. You could also get any year engine for mechanical reasons as you wish and use the 03 computer.

I just bought a 2005. I got the motor to the transfer case. EVerything needed

oh yeah it has 9k on the odometer:rockwoot:

fyi from the electronics stand point the 05 seems to be the red headed stepchild.

and we cant don't know why.

2005 is a tempermental sob :doh:

i would say any were between 04.5 and 06. some of the 07 started changing programming and not as many chips or programs available. the 04.5 had the apps up under the hood where as the 05-06 have the apps in the truck and also electric assist shifting. in the 48re trans which is a little nicer than the 03-04.5. i had a 05 til i wrecked it now i have a 04.5 i like the shift of the 05 alot more and think i will be talking to dennis about a way to hook up my 05 electronic shift assist in my 04.5.

bob the later model 05's seem to be pretty good with the smarty. heck i did 507hp with a built trans, edge hot juice and ez with stock everything else

Depends on the use of the truck. Personally I would only buy an '03-'04.5 if it was only being used for an everyday worker with some added power. Not only do the injectors last longer, but the 555 motors only have 2 injection cycles vs. 3 in the 600 series. This 3rd squirt of fuel stands to gain little more than very dirty oil. Not only is it dirty, but instantly dirty, like 100 miles after an oil change. My '03 will go 1500 miles before any black starts to show. This has to cause more engine wear. I have done many injectors swaps on the 3rd gen. trucks and it is almost a pleasure doing a 555 over a 600.

yea i have a 555 and i like it so much esier to work on and all the electronics. I also make great power out of it. i was at the pull yesterday and i was the only 555 motor there and beat all the others and there were a couple of trucks with bigger turbos than i had.

Depends on the use of the truck. Personally I would only buy an '03-'04.5 if it was only being used for an everyday worker with some added power. Not only do the injectors last longer, but the 555 motors only have 2 injection cycles vs. 3 in the 600 series. This 3rd squirt of fuel stands to gain little more than very dirty oil. Not only is it dirty, but instantly dirty, like 100 miles after an oil change. My '03 will go 1500 miles before any black starts to show. This has to cause more engine wear. I have done many injectors swaps on the 3rd gen. trucks and it is almost a pleasure doing a 555 over a 600.

Black oil is a funky thing. Some trucks get dirty really quickly (my 01 has always had the oil black in 100 miles) and other's tend to last longer. Never figured that out.

What makes a 555 injector so much easier than a 600?

i have heard alot of the 04 trucks having problems with the bodies on the injectors cracking and fuel ending up in the oil my friend's dad has had this happen twice to him already with only a ez box on the truck only switched to 2 a couple times and never on three. in my 05 i would run the ez on 2 all the time and turn it up to 3 at least 3 or 4 times a week