whats easiest way to pull pistons

7inchstack

diesel dork
is it possible to lift the motor enough to pull the pan and push the pistons through the top? or is it just worth pulling the motor? figuring out if i really wanna mess with it right now lol

Pull the motor. Not worth trying to do all that in frame. Can't do as good of work either.

My advice, remove the engine and for easy removal, tilt the cab

Just yank the motor. I dropped a tappet and said screw it i wil just pull the motor. I found several other problems that could have been a disaster if i hadnt found them

It can be done in frame if you so desire. A good friend of mine swapped his pistons, and flex hones the cylinders in his driveway under an easy up :rockwoot: The truck runs great but it's just a toy so it doesn't see a lot of miles.

Once you're that far in it's not hard to just pull the motor.

thats the thing i just had the motor out and now i think i wanna drop my compression a little. was hoping it would be doable in frame but it also does seem harder which would most likely take longer then pulling the motor again. hmm guess its comin back out

We just did this to my truck! In Frame!!

We had to remove the Head first (which I did anyway to see what was up)
Top turbo was still attached to the head.
Removed my MPI hot pipe the the S480
Removed the Fan and Fan Shroud.

Lifted the motor in the frame and also jacked up the front of the truck with a floor jack and a wood block...With the right combo of lifting, it can be done..

We pulled the piston out the top and reinstalled them the same way.

Just watch for the all your wiring.

But pulling the whole thing is still a good option too..

I think I'm a fan of the in frame option. Just seems like less work to me.

And I can't have an obviously disabled truck parked in base housing. Big no-no. I got a ticket (yeah they ticketed a cop) for having the tire off leaning against the back bumper. Truck has to remain operational LOL What a load. We ticket that SOB everytime we see his chitty little s10 driving through housing... :)

We just did this to my truck! In Frame!!

We had to remove the Head first (which I did anyway to see what was up)
Top turbo was still attached to the head.
Removed my MPI hot pipe the the S480
Removed the Fan and Fan Shroud.

Lifted the motor in the frame and also jacked up the front of the truck with a floor jack and a wood block...With the right combo of lifting, it can be done..

We pulled the piston out the top and reinstalled them the same way.

Just watch for the all your wiring.

But pulling the whole thing is still a good option too..

how did you pull piston 5 and 6? i wouldnt think there would be enough room for the piston and rod to come out without hitting the firewall?

I would definately pull the engine. It can be removed in just a few hours. You will get a much cleaner job with the complete engine out.

And I can't have an obviously disabled truck parked in base housing. Big no-no. I got a ticket (yeah they ticketed a cop) for having the tire off leaning against the back bumper. Truck has to remain operational LOL What a load. We ticket that SOB everytime we see his chitty little s10 driving through housing... :)

personally pulling a 12V isnt that bad all considering, i think i might pull it again, maybe this time ill have the block painted and decked so many decistions to make lol

how did you pull piston 5 and 6? i wouldnt think there would be enough room for the piston and rod to come out without hitting the firewall?

Just find the right combo of motor height and truck frame height...

They went back in fairly easily... Obviously helps to have extra hands on the bottom to guide them back into place.

Didn't seem to be much of a problem...

one of the primary reasons I live off post

And cause I don't wanna register all my guns

motors coming back out this weekend, got a few other goodies i want to do it.

im confused.. why do you think you need to lower your compression ryan? you will make less power you realize that?