What's next? Need some advice

khaoskustoms

I'm tryin to get the most hp out of my VE pumped 4bt. I'm hoping to get 300rwhp on fuel only. Here's the specs so far.

Fuel screw in, etc etc. Stock fuel pin still. Timing bumped. DDP 70lt/hr injectors, HE341 on top of an HX52. Spools quick, makes just over 50psi of boost, egt's are cool at barely over 1000 degrees. Last year on a single turbo, POD injectors, same pump mods, I dynoed 200hp to the rear wheels. I'm thinking ive got to do some more work to the pump. But I'm not sure what all I can do. I'm going to be getting a fuel pin soon, dunno if I want the Denny T or an M&H M5.

Anybody know a good pump shop I can call and ask some ?s or pump mods I can do to it yet?? Not overly interested in 14mm rotor. Thanks guys.

Stephen

Grind your own pin, save the money for something else. Do you have an intercooler? Have you added a 3200rpm governor spring? I'd do that and maybe grind your afc lever some while the pump top is off. Good luck getting questions answered about pump work from a pump shop.

as stated above-more fuel available w/afc mods. grind your own, and the foot of the lever alittle.

Thanks guys for posting up. Yes, my truck is intercooled and I have the 3200 spring in it. Which lever is the AFC lever?? It's been awhile since I had my pump top off. (IE last year when I put in the spring) How big is big injectors?? How big of an injector can the VE pump handle?? Acording to DDP I have 150hp injectors rated at 70 lpm. Is this not a big injector for the VE pumps?? Thanks for the replies!!!

I didn't read your post closely enough, I thought you still had PODS, I would stick with those injectors. If they don't give you enough then step up. I would grind your fuel pin and then put it on the dyno and tune it. It sounds like you have the parts to get you to your goals, just play around with the timing and afc on the dyno. Make sure you have a good lift pump also.

thanks soggy, I'm hoping to get the truck to a dyno here soon. Maybe this weekend I'll tackle the fuel pin and afc.

Here's some pics of the 4BT Dakota.

100_1014.jpg

100_1003.jpg

Showing where the box is cutout for the stack.

100_1006.jpg

Cool pic

100_1007.jpg

A pic of the engine bay

100_1008.jpg

or 2

100_1009.jpg

My overhead gauge pod.

100_1010.jpg

lit to match the factory gauges

100_1011.jpg

Side profile

100_1012.jpg

100_1013.jpg

Have you messed with the full throttle screw? (not really sure if its called that) My friends truck I tweaked with Gained an easy 50-60hp(5.9) by adjusting it 3 turns in. (butt dyno verified LOL)

On edit: Make sure you have a friend with a large board to put in front of the air intake if it decides to runaway.

I'd do a 14mm if it will work on your application...I have a few thousand miles on mine, and no trouble to far....stupid amounts of fuel also.

I'd do a 14mm if it will work on your application...I have a few thousand miles on mine, and no trouble to far....stupid amounts of fuel also.

a 14mm pump would really get these twins goin!!! Also make better use of my injectors. I still use the truck as my daily driver in the summer, also tow's a trailer once in awhile. I usually put about 20,000k a year on the truck. I'm just really really concerned about the reliability of a 14mm pump. I'd like to drive the truck down to SEMA this year, get some pics on the salt flats!!! Make some smoke down the strip!!! So it's still got to be a reliable daily driver. Guess I could always carry a spare stock injection pump if something were to ever happen to a 14mm pump. JQmile, you have a Scheid built pump right?? What does Scheid say about the reliabilit of a 14mm pump?? Do they stand behind them?? Or is it like any major performance mod, at your own risk.

Stephen

I think its an at your own risk but Sheids told me the 14mm ve pumps are pretty reliable. At one point I had seriously thought of trying a 14mm VE pumped 4bt with a bigger set of twins than your running on a semi daily driven truck.

I'm kind of testing it for them....so far so good, I think as long as the rpms are kept low (under 3500) this pump will do fine.....BUT, 20K a year on a truck is a lot of miles....I hate to say it but it might be worth your while to find a p-pump for a 4bt.

ya, I would really like to try a 14mm pump. Maybe if I find a core stock pump, I'll get it built just to try it. On another note, a buddy of mine picked up a 4cyl inline injection pump at a local farm auction. Not really sure what it is, don't think it's a bosch pump. I haven't seen it yet, prob this weekend I'll get it. He paid $5 for it. Can't go wrong even if it's only good for a paperweight.

I've seen 4bt inline pumps on ebay before for pretty cheap.

I'd check in there every once in a while.

What kind of mpg do you get with that? I've been toying around with the idea of putting one together.